Guilty plea for burglar who posted on Facebook

cybercore

Note to thieves: when robbing a place, the best way to make a clean getaway is not to post your picture on the victim's Facebook page. And if you do, scram out of town/country as fast as you can! Otherwise, you'll be like Rodney Knight Jr., who couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a pic of himself holding his vic's cash and post it on the Facebook page of a reporter's son, the same reporter whose house he just robbed.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Earlier this week, Knight, 19, pleaded guilty to second-degree burglary in Washington D.C. Superior Court, and to carrying a pistol without a license.

It was a dramatic break-in, when Knight hit the D.C. house of Washington Post reporter Marc Fisher in December. Fisher blogged about it for the Post, setting up a scene in which he received an urgent e-mail from his 15-year-old son, who was the first to report the violation of house and home. The break-in happened during the day, while everyone was at work and school. Fisher and his wife arrived in time to see DC cops pulling up to his house, which had been broken in through the basement.

The thief focused mostly on the things belonging to Fisher's son: his laptop, iPod, savings bonds and cash. But Knight didn't stop there. Fisher wrote:

"He felt compelled to showboat about his big achievement: He opened my son's computer, took a photo of himself sneering as he pointed to the cash lifted from my son's desk, and then went on my son's Facebook account and posted the picture for 400 teenagers to see. In the picture, the man is wearing my new winter coat, the one that was stolen right out of the Macy's box it had just arrived in."

A D.C. police officer called Knight "the most stupid criminal I've ever seen." Knight was arrested in January, a few weeks after the burglary.

Fisher wrote that of all the violations of that day, Knight's invasion of his son's Facebook space was among the worst consequences of his actions:

"My son was coping brilliantly with the trauma of losing his belongings — until he saw the invasion of his Facebook page. That's when the pathetic indignity of the burglary hit. Here was a space that my son had carefully walled off from public view, limiting access to his page to his friends and schoolmates. And now a lowlife stranger was taunting him in that presumably private zone."

6123715.jpg

More Guilty plea for burglar who posted on Facebook

Back