Windows 7 Halo PC Sound Issues

Hi guys, Crimson here, this is my first post on these forums and I hope someone out there can help me. First off, I'm fairly knowledgeable on computers, I've been using Windows 7 RC for a few months now, and I've got to say that I'm very impressed with the dramatic change that Microsoft has made, MUCH better than Vista, yet a little more difficult than XP in my opinion.

I'm a huge gamer, and my favorite game to play on my PC is Halo: Combat Evolved, so far the game works as expected with my current system, ( see specs below ), and there's only one thing that bugs me, I can't for the life of me get Halo to detect my sound card. I'm getting pretty sick of simple stereo as I have a perfectly able sound card. I've tried everything that I know: Compatibility Modes, Updates, tweaking, and several different Drivers, still nothing. I even used my second hard drive ( which has Windows XP Service Pack 2 on it ) to make sure I didn't mess up any of my hardware, yet it works just fine, EAX and everything.

So if anyone who's a lot smarter than me knows a solution to make Halo PC allow me to select "Hardware Acceleration and Environmental Sound" , please help this poor simpleton out, LOL!!!

My System Specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Mother Board: Unfortunately unknown at the moment
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Hard Drive: 119 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Sound Card: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7100) (7100.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700)

...and in-case my post sounds a little confusing, I have provided a picture of what I'm talking about.
23roaw1.jpg

*On a side note: Hardware Acceleration and Environmental Sound work perfectly with my machine when I'm running Windows XP and the sound card works absolutely fine when not in game when I run Windows 7 RC.

Thank You Very Much In Advance,
«Crimson»

Last edited:
So if anyone who's a lot smarter than me knows a solution to make Halo PC allow me to select \"Hardware Acceleration and Environmental Sound\" , please help this poor simpleton out, LOL!!!
Thank You Very Much In Advance,
«Crimson»

Simples...get Creative ALchemy, as win7 & Vista dont have dxsound ( they use OPENAL) so you'll need ALchemy (Creative cards only) to get EAX support which is often the hardware sound in older games. Once installed it's a simple case of selecting the games main exe file within ALchemy which executes the virtualised Hardware Support, sadly it won't do a thing for games that don't have EAX.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Back