Windows Vista Hardware profiles in Vista?

Voodoo2007

Hello all,

Just like in XP, I'd like to create a gaming startup hardware profile because 1 GB of RAM is definitely not enough to play games in Vista but I just read elsewhere on the net that this feature has been removed in Vista.

The funny thing is that if you edit a service and you go to the Log on tab, the option to enable or disable that service in the listed hardware profiles is available. Since the only hardware profile listed on my PC is called "Undocked", my only explanation is that if you have a laptop and a docking station, a "Docked" profile would be automatically created and that would be the only way to have different hardware profiles. Am I right or is there a way to create one?

Best regards
Sylvain

I have a unique reason for using hardware profiles in Vista. We have laptops that can be used by employees at home, or when on travel. When the laptops are at the company site, it must have wireless, bluetooth, and other devices completely disabled. When they travel or are at home, they can have them enabled and running. In XP this was acheive by creating to profiles and disabling all the devices in the office profile, and then enable all devices in home profile.

What is the Vista equivalent to do this based on user input as to if they are at office or at home? This needs to happen at startup, and not once the user logs in.

goldhorse

Back