Windows 7 High latency issue Realtek RTL8168

JustinMP91

Hey everyone

On Thursday, I received my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. I skipped the Vista bandwagon, so I was moving directly from Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32-bit) to Windows 7 Home Premium. I opted to install the 64-bit version of Windows 7, as I had no issues when running the 64-bit beta.

As it turns out, I seem to have encountered an issue with my network adapter on Windows 7. Using any speed test site, such as speedtest.net, I get an extremely high ping (500ms +). I have tested another machine behind my router running Windows XP and there is no problem. Also, on the speed.io website, which tests connections per minute, I can only get around 200 on Windows 7, whereas I could get 2000+ on Windows XP with the same hardware.

Strangely, in games like Counter-Strike: Source, my ping is normal and in the 25-60 range on most nearby servers. Also, when running the ping command from the command prompt, most servers return a result lower than 100ms ... which is also normal. So, I don't understand why on speedtest.net, pingtest.net, and dslreport's flash speed test.. I get a ridiculous ping time of 500+ms. Web browsing does seem to be slow as well, as images take longer to load then they should.

I'm not sure whether this is a driver issue, or what. I have tried disabling both my firewall and AV software, so they are not at fault. I've tried 3 different version of the drivers for my NIC. One from the Gigabyte website, and two from Realtek's website (they released an updated version yesterday). I have all of my system specs listed on my profile if anyone needs to know that.

I'd appreciate any help or ideas from anyone.

Back