Windows 7 Home network updating/sharing/cloning?

lazerking9

I am running a small network for myself and our, erm, "family." We have like 6 or 7 computers all connected through a central router (hardwired or using wifi), with all but one running on Win7 (the oddball is stuck with XP).

while I have some basic file sharing going on, I have found that it is not quite adequate. If one computer goes offline, all the files they have stored are unavailable. Plus, it is a pain in the @!#$ when I have to update some bit of software. I have to go to each one and install the updates. And i swear these people go out of their way to infect their computers.. seems like every few days I have to disinfect someone's machine.

Anyway, I was thinking, and it seems to me that these problems are all sort of inter-related.
I was thinking about it, and the solution (what I see, anyway) is this: have one core copy of windows with the user files and programs in one central location, with one set of tools to manage this "master copy" (updates, cleaning, etc), with everyone able to access their files from any of the machines they want, with everything all the same.
Is there something I can use for this?
(did I mention it has to be (pseudo-)unnoticeable from the computers they use? they have a hard time finding the start bar, let alone operate some "newfangled contraption")

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
~lazerking9

Back