Windows 11 copy and paste from data on the web directly to a flash drive

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Micro Center built my computer I called and they said it's impossible to copy data from the web directly to the flash drive you have to copy it to something like word or a word file however when I go to you tube all right search Google it seems that people are copying something from the web and then tasting it directly to the flash drive so I'm confused as to which one is right

The process of copying data directly from the web to a flash drive is indeed possible and can be done without the need for intermediary software like Word or a Word file.

Normally, when you copy data from a website, you would use the copy function (typically via right-clicking and selecting "Copy") to copy the desired content. Then, you would navigate to the location on your computer where you want to save the data and paste it using the paste function (usually by right-clicking and selecting "Paste" or using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+V).

To copy data directly to a flash drive, you would follow the same steps as mentioned above, but instead of navigating to a specific location on your computer, you would open your file explorer and locate the flash drive. This can usually be done by opening "This PC" or "My Computer" and finding the drive letter corresponding to your flash drive (e.g., E: or F:).

Once you have located the flash drive, simply paste the copied content into the flash drive's directory by right-clicking and selecting "Paste" or using the Ctrl+V keyboard shortcut. The data will then be transferred directly to the flash drive without any intermediary steps.

It's possible that the person you spoke to at Micro Center may have misunderstood your question or provided incorrect information. However, rest assured that copying data directly from the web to a flash drive is a standard and achievable process.

Thank you for your reply. What you directed me to do is exactly what I used to do with my other computer before I had this one made at Micro Center. I would give you a screenshot if I could but this is a wireless new keyboard and I can't find out how to do it yet. I will verbally convey to you what happened and hopefully send you a screenshot when I can.
When I copied from the web the Pledge of allegiance I had opened up the flash drive put the cursor right on PNY and it said copy not paste I tried placing the cursor in the contents of the last drive so to speak and again it said copy and not paste. I have tried this with PNY SanDisk and the external drive to no avail. It almost feels as though there is a switch that is not clicked on properly in the bios where I am not technically inclined.
Being a disabled vet it is almost impossible for me to bring the machine back to them.
Thank you so much for confirming what I suspected and if you have any suggestions I would be more than willing to accept them.
Thank you once again and I look forward to hearing from you.
PS I can do this copy and paste with my docs only.

It is absolutely possible. It will vary by what exact you are downloading. Such as downloading a file.
Copy / paste of text though requires the creation of a file. The copy/paste function itself won't create a file from copied text.
1705955921426.png

I think your intentions were good but I have consulted with four of the technicians at Micro Center and they all agree that this cannot be done.
The flash drive does not read or understand the contents of what I've copied and needs to go to word wordpad or notepad first

That is mentioned in my post above. Copied text can not be translated directly into a file without an intermediary tool like notepad.

To be technically accurate you could do it but it would require programming/scripting to achieve

Of course now you have me curious. I think I could create a solution for you. Give me some time.

Hey! Copying directly to a flash drive is absolutely doable—no need for Word middleman. Just open File Explorer, navigate to your flash drive, right-click, and paste. You can download it from the web and paste it directly onto the flash drive. Those YouTube tutorials got it spot on! Speaking of Windows 11, do you guys know where I can buy windows 11 professional? I want to switch from a home Windows version. Hang in there!

Last edited:
I have used Google and it seems to say copying from text or any file and pasting directly to an open flash drive cannot be done.
I am confused and don't mean to take up time but this issue persists.

Back