Windows 7 How do I fix blue screen errors?

JamesHillier

Question:
How do I fix the Windows blue screen errors?

Answer:
Before fixing a Microsoft Windows blue screen or blue screen of death (BSoD) error you must first identify what type of error it is. Since there are different types of errors.

Note: If you are getting a blue screen error and then your computer immediately reboots without you being able to read the text, follow these steps below. If you can't get into Windows to perform these steps, boot your computer into Link Removed - Invalid URL.

1. From the dekstop/start menu right click on my computer
    2. Click the properties option
    3. In the system properties window click the advanced tab
    4. In advanced click the settings button under start up and recovery
    5. In the start up and recovery window uncheck the automatically restart check box
    6. Click ok
Blue screen errors
Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista and later versions will have a blue screen error that is similar to the example shown below. Thankfully these error messages often contain more detailed information, and will contain information that can be easily searched for and found. If you are not getting a blue screen error check my thread on fatal errors - (link to come).

1. Identify the types of blue screen by locating a line containing captial letters with underscores instead of spaces, such as the example above: BAD_POOL_HEADER. Write this information down. If you do not see anything written in all captial letters with underscores like this, skip this step.
  2. Get either the STOP: error message at the top of the error, or in the "Technical Information:" portion of the error. For example, in the above error it's STOP: 0x00000019... write the first portion of this message down.
  3. Finally, if technical information is shown write down the file and address.
Once you have the above information you can start troubleshooting your issue. Below are some common blue screen errors and links to pages that contains information on how to troubleshoot each error. If you error is not listed below you may wish to search or post on this forum or google to get your answer.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (link to come)
STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH
(link to come)
THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (link to come)
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (link to come)
UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR (link to come)

Ref: Link Removed - Invalid URL

I noticed lots of incorrect information, such as telling users to run chkdsk /f for NTFS errors.
That won't help much if the file system is corrupt, as chkdsk /r needs to be ran instead.

Then it goes on to say reinstall Windows to fix the bsod. That's not really good advice since the errors are from an outdated driver that needs to be updated or file system/hdd corruption. Reinstalling Windows will fix neither scenario.

Then it says to disable antivirus. Disabling will not do anything well, because that doesn't remove the drivers from the system at all. Full uninstall is necessary to troubleshoot and/or repair.

Thank you,

Your feedback TorrentG is very much appreciated, I have corrected these errors now.

Although I couldn't not see where I had put about disabling the antivirus. As what I have written says to uininstall and reinstall.

Because antivirus programs can also cause this we suggest uninstalling your current antivirus and installing an alternative to help keep the computer protected. A listing of antivirus programs including free versions can be found here (link to come).

Ref: Link Removed - Invalid URL

I noticed lots of incorrect information, such as telling users to run chkdsk /f for NTFS errors.
That won't help much if the file system is corrupt, as chkdsk /r needs to be ran instead.

Then it goes on to say reinstall Windows to fix the bsod. That's not really good advice since the errors are from an outdated driver that needs to be updated or file system/hdd corruption. Reinstalling Windows will fix neither scenario.

Then it says to disable antivirus. Disabling will not do anything well, because that doesn't remove the drivers from the system at all. Full uninstall is necessary to troubleshoot and/or repair.

Back