How do I run 2 different versions of same program (Cryptainer)

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by x38class, May 11, 2015.

1. x38class

x38class Well-Known Member

I have 2 versions of Crytainer which is a security program that loads a vault using a password.

In the installation it loads its "Name" (ie Cryptainer) in system startup, (not user startup) & in services.

I can see it in Control Panel/Admin tools/system config/startup & services

Regardless of which version is installed & I try to run the other version from Program files/etc/etc I only get the installed version not the one I want to run.

If I remove the installed program "Name" (ie Cryptainer) from startup & services, can I the run each independently from the respective folder in Program files?

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi,
    unfortunately I'm not familiar with the software mentioned but couldn't you simply remove the one you don't want to run?

3. x38class

If it was that simple I would not have posted the question. Please re-read the question.

When the software is installed it creates an entry in system startup & services, I don't know why & i dont know what happens if they are removed, what I do know is regardless of which version I run I always get the installed version, why does this happen if I am running from a different folder & running a different program?

So again I ask what happens if I remove the entries in system startup & services & does that then allow me to run either version.

I do not understand the operating system enough to know why they are registered in services & system startup ( not user startup)

4. OTT

OTT Active Member

You could try to stop and disable the service(s) or set it/them to manual and test if this gives the intended effect ?

[​IMG]

If you have CCleaner installed you can disable the service(s) from there, read this !

OTT

5. x38class

I know I can do this, you can mostly delete/remove/rename anything, but I prefer to find out the ramifications of what I am about to do before I do it.

So, I was expecting somebody who has imtimate knowledge of this part of the operating system to tell me why they are where they are & what are the ramifications (if any be disabling them) before I do so.