Windows 7 How many watts do I need...

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Here is an excellent article by Xbit labs where they do real world testing on how much certain types of pc draw power.
So if your either going to build a fast gaming rig or just a work station the answer to the power needs will be here..

Link Removed due to 404 Error

And just for a quick reference...

In addition to the detailed information posted in this thread, there is a quick reference approximation of wattage requirements of various components in the TigerDirect Technology Guide linked below. While this guide is much less technical than some others, it shows an approximate range of power requirements for various PC components that will guide someone when deciding how large a power supply is needed for any given application.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Yea, I'm having the darndest time, I can calculate the AC amperage my pc is digesting which is 2.5 amps ac from a Fluke TS-1000 multimeter, but I am trying to get my DC amps so I can multiply that with my 12v reading to calculate my wattage usage on idle and load, but my fluke 87 V multi meter & fluke 80i-1010 ac/dc amp clamp are being problematic!

Yea, I'm having the darndest time, I can calculate the AC amperage my pc is digesting which is 2.5 amps ac from a Fluke TS-1000 multimeter, but I am trying to get my DC amps so I can multiply that with my 12v reading to calculate my wattage usage on idle and load, but my fluke 87 V multi meter & fluke 80i-1010 ac/dc amp clamp are being problematic!

My level of electrical expertise is about as low as my level of computer expertise, but since your meter is reading RMS voltage and hence amperage; can you not just make a direct proportional relationship between AC and DC? Would it not work out that 2.5 amp AC on a 120 VAC circuit (300 watt) would convert to 25 amp DC on a 12 VDC circuit (again 300 watt)? Am I missing something?

edit: Of course you have to figure the power loss through the transformer and rectifier, but that will be only a few percentage points. Also, it may be quite difficult to get power supply output wires separated enough that the current flow through a neighboring wire doesn't affect the wire you have your clamp around. I might not understand exactly what you are trying to do, either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom