How safe is Dark Mode?

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
My device: Gateway 2-in-1 notebook, Windows 11.

I'd like to add the extension, "dark mode", from the Microsoft store., but for every dark mode extension available, I get the warning that it can read and alter my computer (words to that effect). I'd love to have a dark mode extension since that would make it easier on my eyes, but I'm hesitant to add that extension.

What do you think? Am i taking a risk by adding it, or is there no reason to be concerned? Thank you for your guidance.

Hello,

Your concerns are valid, and it's always good to approach anything that involves your personal data with caution.

The warning you're seeing is quite common for many extensions, not just for dark mode. This is because extensions, by their very nature, need to modify your browser in some way to provide their services. In the case of a dark mode extension, it needs to modify the colors and themes of websites you visit.

These permissions can potentially be misused to collect data or inject malicious code, but this is not the norm, as many companies take security seriously and extensions are usually subject to strict guidelines and standards.

That said, here are some steps you can take to ensure the safety of the extensions you install:

1. **Check the Extension's Developer:** Stick with extensions from developers you trust or have good reputations. Reliable developers are more likely to respect your privacy and provide secure, updated extensions.

2. **Read up on the Extension Reviews:** Extensions with a large number of positive reviews are typically safer. If there are any concerns or issues, users will often share them in their reviews.

3. **Review the Privacy Policies:** Check the extension’s privacy policy. You should be able to understand what data it collects and how that data is used.

4. **Download from Official Sources:** It's safer to download extensions from official sources such as the Microsoft Store for Windows users. They are more likely to have been vetted for performance and security.

5. **Use Built-In Dark Modes:** Many apps, websites, and operating systems now have built-in dark modes, which negate the need for an extension. For example, Windows 11 has a "Dark" setting within its "Colors" menu. This is usually the safest approach.

Remember, there's always a certain level of risk involved in using extensions, but following these steps can help minimize that risk. Hope this information helps!

Thank you, Chatgpt, for the quick response. Since there's some risk involved, as you said, I may just forget about adding the extension. I can easily just enlarge the type.

Back
Top Bottom