Windows Vista How to detect when Minimize Animation Completes in Vista

ssheldon

Hey Folks,

Here is the challenge I am having with Vista and would really appreciate any help from anybody that might now how to work around this.

1. I have an application running of my own creation
2. I progrmatically minimize it
3. Once minized I want to take a snapshot of the screen

The problem I am having is that when I take the screen capture, my application will be caught in the image in the process because of the way vista animates the minimize.

My question is, how do I know when minimizing a form in Vista when the actual minimize animation has completed?

Kind Regards,
Steve

How are you actually taking a screenshot? I use the 'printscreen' key then open 'paint' and whilst the cursor is over the blank page press Ctrl+V. This should take a shot of the screen exactly how you see it...
Hope this helps..

Ah, I am trying to do this programatically... not as a user. The code needs to know when the minimize animation has completed. I found a workaround to move my form to some co-ordinate off the screen before minimizing but it would be great to know how to do this properly and detect when the animation completes.

Hmmm.... I would say that this is a figure that will be found in the registry and obviously changing that figure will also change the time it takes to minimise... Now where or what registry key is involved I'm unsure although some clues may be found in the 'Tweakguides Vista companion' under registry tweaks.. You can download the guide here:
TweakGuides.com - The TweakGuides Tweaking Companion
I only mention this because I remember reading some registry tweaks that would change shutdown times ect so it 'may' be of some help in pointing you in the right direction...
Good Luck... :D

Great, I will check into that thankyou! One thing that occured to me with that approach is that I wouldn't be able to rely on a figure like that because the speed of the system would effect the time the animation takes so I couldn' guarentee the animation is gone.

What I was hoping is that somebody might know of a window event or Microsoft Accessibility window event that fires once the animation finishes.

My gut feeling is that windows isn't exposing this information, if anybody runs into this, there is a workaround for the problem if you happen to own the window, you simply store the Location of the Window, set it to something really high like 10000 (it will dissapear immediately), then set it back to the Location you stored earlier when you are done.

Thanks again, Steve

Well I hope it's of some help at least and good luck in your endevours :)

Back