How to prevent "Microsoft defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognised app" warning for my own python based app

Emregun1

Hi,

I have developed a python based application for windows 10 and I created a setup exe for installation into Program Files (x86) folder via inno setup tool. My problem is whenever I execute my setup.exe file on another windows device, SmartScreen shows "Microsoft defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognised app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk" warning.

I found 2 methods to bypass the warning:
(reference: How to avoid the "Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting warning")

1- Click "Run anyway" button-> I really do not want to give my users an impression that my application is an unreliable one. So therefore this option is not ok for me. I really want to get rid of this warning.
2-Buying EV or OV signing certificate -> I do not want to spend any money at the beginning of my startup

So the only solution which I found and makes sense is "submitting my app for malware for malware analyses":
I tried to do that which following link and steps:
Submit a file for malware analysis - Microsoft Security Intelligence ->Software developer button -> then under file download button
I saw following note:

"Submit only the specific files you want analyzed. Submitting an installer package or an archive with a large number of files may delay the analysis and cause your submission to be deprioritized"

So it means that it is also not the right way to get rid of this warning message.
Does anyone any other idea?

Thanks a lot in advance.

This is the same issue with the WF Diagnostic Tool. The other option is to go in Microsoft's website and request an exclusion for SmartScreen or Defender and hope it gets approved (and that its not blocked by other anit-malware or other anti-virus)

which of course is why everyone codes for Linux instead of Microsoft but thats a different can of worms

Back
Top Bottom