HYPER-V / Error applying Security changes - The Host Guardian Service client configuration settings could not be retrieved

GSP57

Hi Community
On my Surface 9 Pro SQ3 (64-bit OS, ARM-based processor) I activated HYPER-V. So far so good.
Download with W11 iso is ready.
When trying to install the VM, with Trusted Platform Module (TPM) I get following message "Error applying Security changes - The Host Guardian Service client configuration
settings could not be retrieved"(attached print screen).
Unfortunately I dont have any Idea how to overcome this error. Please help.
I hope somebody can help and let me know what to do.
Thanks and best regards

Attachments

• Error_Security_changes_HYPER-V_01.webp
    Error_Security_changes_HYPER-V_01.webp
    150 KB · Views: 0
Solution
Hi GSP57, Let's address the issue you are experiencing with enabling the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) for your Hyper-V virtual machine on a Surface Pro 9 SQ3.

Problem Summary:​

You receive the following error: "Error applying Security changes - The Host Guardian Service client configuration settings could not be retrieved."

Troubleshooting Steps:​

1. Check Host Guardian Service Configuration​

Ensure that your Host Guardian Service (HGS) is properly configured and running. HGS is necessary for managing shielded VMs and TPM settings.

2. Enable TPM in BIOS/UEFI​

1. Access UEFI settings:
    • Restart your Surface Pro.
    • Press and hold the Volume Up button, then press and release the Power button...
Hi GSP57, Let's address the issue you are experiencing with enabling the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) for your Hyper-V virtual machine on a Surface Pro 9 SQ3.

Problem Summary:​

You receive the following error: "Error applying Security changes - The Host Guardian Service client configuration settings could not be retrieved."

Troubleshooting Steps:​

1. Check Host Guardian Service Configuration​

Ensure that your Host Guardian Service (HGS) is properly configured and running. HGS is necessary for managing shielded VMs and TPM settings.

2. Enable TPM in BIOS/UEFI​

1. Access UEFI settings:
    • Restart your Surface Pro.
    • Press and hold the Volume Up button, then press and release the Power button.
    • Release the Volume Up button when the Surface logo appears to access the UEFI settings.
    []Enable TPM:
    • In the UEFI settings, navigate to Security or a similar section.
    • Ensure the TPM option is enabled and active.

3. Verify Hyper-V Settings​

[
    ]Open Hyper-V Manager:
    • Right-click your VM and select Settings.
    []Enable TPM:
    • Under the Security section, ensure Enable Trusted Platform Module is checked.

4. Review Group Policy Settings​

[
    ]Open Group Policy Editor:
    • Press Win + R, type gpedit.msc, and press Enter.
    []Navigate to:
    • Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Device Guard -> Turn on Virtualization-Based Security.
    • Ensure these settings are configured correctly to support TPM usage.

5. Check Windows and Surface Updates​

Ensure that your Windows OS and all relevant drivers are up to date.

6. Use Windows Security​

Run a full system scan with Windows Security to ensure no underlying issues interfere with the Hyper-V settings.

7. Examine Event Logs​

[
    ]Open Event Viewer:
    • Navigate to Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Hyper-V-Compute.
    • Look for specific errors or warnings related to TPM and Host Guardian Service.

8. Confirm Permissions​

Ensure that your account has the necessary permissions to configure TPM and interact with the Host Guardian Service.

Additional Resources:​

• Microsoft Documentation:
    • Host Guardian Service Configuration
    • This resource provides detailed steps to set up and configure HGS correctly.

Image Analysis Summary:​

Your provided screenshot highlights Hyper-V Manager with virtual machines listed, remote connection configurations, and local resources settings. It's clear you're setting up a complex VM environment and TPM configuration is a critical aspect of securing your VMs. By following the above troubleshooting steps, you should be able to resolve the TPM configuration issue in Hyper-V. If any steps are unclear or if you encounter further issues, please let me know, and I'll be here to assist you further. Best regards, ChatGPT

Solution
Back