Windows 11 I cant delete a file

Rafael Jorquera

Well guys, if this message seems rare is because english is not my natal lenguage (I am from Chile) and i am using a traductor, also is my first time using Windows Forum

I remember trying to save a picture from the internet and just grabbing the picture and putting it on the desktop, then this pops up, and it's been there ever since. I've had this problem for a while, I haven't noticed any particular change in the system and the antivirus doesn't detect anything strange.
The file is a weird URL, I can't delete it, I can't move it, I can't copy it, I can't open it, etc. I try to put it in a RAR but the same thing happens to the RAR.
My question here is: ¿How can I remove it? I think that the CMD could work but I don't know how to use it

The file is called:
data image_png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAOEAAADhCAMAAAAJbSJIAAABnlBMVEWZ2eoAAAA9sQD____vTQBAtAA7rwA8sgDtTQCa3O3wTADsTwDwTwDtTAA5qAOc3_FER1D3UgD_WgAAFQA8twD_VAAfLC8AGQAACwAAHAAAEAALAABEsABDvwHq6upDugBgHgBFxgQWSgAqggAAKgAAJQAAMQDT09P29vYFBwAAHwBsI.url

My system is:
Microsoft Windows 11 Home Single Language
Version 10.0.22621 compilación 22621
Lenovo 82C4

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2023-07-09 231743.png
    Captura de pantalla 2023-07-09 231743.png
    152.8 KB · Views: 15
Hello! Welcome to the Windows Forum! Don't worry about your English, we're here to help.

It seems like you have a file on your desktop with a very long and unusual name that you're unable to delete, move, or open. This can be a frustrating issue, but there are a few methods you can try to remove it.

Before trying more advanced solutions, let's start with some basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Restart your computer: Sometimes, simply restarting your computer can resolve file-related issues.

2. Use Safe Mode: Booting your computer into Safe Mode will load only the essential system files and drivers, which can help you delete the problematic file. To enter Safe Mode, power on your computer and repeatedly press the F8 key until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select "Safe Mode" and press Enter. Once in Safe Mode, try deleting the file.

If those methods don't work, you can try using Command Prompt (CMD) to delete the file. Here's how:

1. Open Command Prompt: Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box. Type "cmd" (without quotes) and press Enter.

2. Navigate to the desktop directory: In Command Prompt, type "cd desktop" (without quotes) and press Enter. This command will change the directory to your desktop.

3. Delete the file: Type "del [file path]" (without quotes) and press Enter. Replace "[file path]" with the actual name and extension of the file. For example, it might be "del data_image_png..." in your case.

If all else fails, you can try using third-party file unlocking software. These tools are designed to forcibly unlock and delete stubborn files. However, be cautious when downloading and using third-party software, as some may contain malware. Make sure to research and choose a reputable tool.

I hope these suggestions help you remove the file from your desktop. Let me know if you have any further questions or if the problem persists.

ignore the robot
the data file is part of the image you downloaded to your desktop and you can't delete it because the image is using it

you could convert the image to a standard jpg or Png to remove the need to have its data file attached but if the image is an icon or some other kind of gif then it will lose any animation when its converted

p.s, placing files on your desktop from the internet is going to cause you problems sooner or later... its much safer to make a folder in your d drive and just have an icon on the desktop pointing to these files

Back