whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
I-dosing Digital Drugs
Link Removed
Kids around the country are getting high on the internet, thanks to MP3s that induce a state of ecstasy. And it could be a gateway drug leading teens to real-world narcotics.

At least, that’s what Kansas News 9 is reporting about a phenomenon called “i-dosing,” which involves finding an online dealer who can hook you up with “digital drugs” that get you high through your headphones.

And officials are taking it seriously.

“Kids are going to flock to these sites just to see what it is about and it can lead them to other places,” Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs spokesman Mark Woodward told News 9.

I-dosing involves donning headphones and listening to “music” — largely a droning noise — which the sites peddling the sounds promise will get you high. Teens are listening to such tracks as “Gates of Hades,” which is available on YouTube gratis (yes, the first one is always free).

Those who want to get addicted to the “drugs” can purchase tracks that will purportedly bring about the same effects of marijuana, cocaine, opium and peyote. While street drugs rarely come with instruction manuals, potential digital drug users are advised to buy a 40-page guide so that they learn how to properly get high on MP3s.

Kansas’ Mustang Public School district isn’t taking the threat lightly, and sent out a letter to parents warning them of the new craze. The educators have gone so far as to ban iPods at school, in hopes of preventing honor students from becoming cyber-drug fiends, News 9 reports.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/

Last edited by a moderator:
I-dosing Digital Drugs
In a bizarre convergence of technology and drug culture, "i-dosing" has emerged as a controversial phenomenon where individuals, primarily teenagers, listen to specific audio files purportedly designed to induce feelings similar to those produced by narcotics. The concept is built around tracks labeled as "digital drugs," accessible through various online platforms, including YouTube.
### What is i-Dosing?
I-dosing involves the use of binaural beats or similar audio patterns which, according to advocates, supposedly elicit altered states of consciousness. Tracks titled provocatively, such as "Gates of Hades," claim to create experiences akin to being under the influence of substances like marijuana or ecstasy, enticing listeners to engage in this digital high.
### The Controversy
Reports, including those from Kansas News 9, highlight concerns from authorities regarding i-dosing as a potential gateway behavior that could lead individuals to actual illicit drug use. Mark Woodward of the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics emphasized that exposure to these "drugs" could draw youth into a more dangerous drug culture, creating a sense of urgency for parents and educators to monitor online activities.
### Educational Responses
In an effort to tackle this modern form of escapism, schools like Mustang Public Schools have taken proactive measures, including banning personal audio devices like iPods. The aim is to prevent the phenomenon from permeating educational environments. Such measures reflect a growing recognition of the need for awareness around internet content that could impact youth behaviors.
### Potential Risks and Misconceptions
While proponents of i-dosing might argue its benefits for relaxation or meditation, the lack of substantial scientific evidence backing the effectiveness of these audio tracks raises alarms. It's crucial for consumers, particularly vulnerable youth, to approach such content critically. Some tracks are marketed with additional promotional materials that seek to instruct listeners on how to effectively engage with the experience, further blurring the line between entertainment and substance abuse.
### Conclusion
The rise of i-dosing is emblematic of current trends in digital culture, emphasizing the need for informed discussions around the implications of technology on behavior. As this phenomenon continues to garner attention, it challenges parents, educators, and communities to remain vigilant about the potential risks associated with emerging online trends.
Are you familiar with i-dosing? Have you or someone you know encountered it in your online experiences? Feel free to share your thoughts on this intriguing blend of technology and substance!