Windows 7 I have decided to buy an SSD

I'm not sure being as lean as possible is necessary with a 64Gb SSD. I have Windows 7 64-bit and all my hardware drivers on my boot disk and only using 22.4Gb. I have moved my Documents, download and temp files to another drive, and I install all my apps on another drive too so only Windows and drivers are on the boot drive. But still, there's nothing wrong with lean and mean! ;) Especially if that is the only drive you have installed.

I am with you on that one Digs, I have used a 64 GB partition for Windows 7 ever since it first was in BETA. Right now I'm using about 26.7 GB of space and that's with Office 2010 Pro Plus installed with all features. In addition I have another 20 some odd programs and Windows A.I.K. installed too.

I am with you on that one Digs, I have used a 64 GB partition for Windows 7 ever since it first was in BETA. Right now I'm using about 26.7 GB of space and that's with Office 2010 Pro Plus installed with all features. In addition I have another 20 some odd programs and Windows A.I.K. installed too.

That is good to know that a 64GB is more then enough . I had assumed it would be but have as stated, never used such a small drive , recently . Please give us your thoughts on your OCX Vertex Nibiru2012 . I am sure you have if installed found improvements across the board ?
SSD's are the only way computing can head . If you think about it nearly every thing on a computer is solid state , till we reach the hard drive . Then we are depending on a platter that is spinning at incredible speeds with built in obsolescence ! Technology that dates way
back . Over time SSD's will come to dominate the computing market with lower prices and increased size .

My SSD is working above and beyond my expectations . Mainly in the computer running cool department . It is superb at keeping the power supply happy. I used to notice while converting a video to DVD it would start to get very hot at the top and back of the computer where the power supply was housed . The unit must have been working overtime !
Other times no heat or hardly any .
Now with the new SSD it is cool even under the most severe work load .

Solid-state drives are wicked fast. They can breathe new life into a PC whose performance is being dragged down by a slow conventional hard drive. They’re also expensive and (at least for now) limited in total capacity. So how do you get the performance benefits of an SSD upgrade without breaking the bank?

Well, most use the SSD for the Boot Drive, not storage. I have the OCZ Vertez 2 SSD 60GB as boot then I have 2 - 500GB Samsung spinners for storage and such, an HD502HJ which is very fast for a spinner and a HD502IJ which is not too shabby either.

Getting an OCZ Vertex 2 for $99.99 after rebate is an excellent buy for 60GB these days. A year ago they were about $169.00 with no rebate.

Here are some screen captures, first is the Samsung HD502HJ, then the OCZ Vertex 2:

Link Removed due to 404 Error
If you'll notice that Samsung is damn good for a spinner, getting close to a Velociraptor!

This is the OCZ Vertex 2, it is very fast indeed!
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Back