Windows 7 I need tips on buying a used Win 7 PC!

Varsel

I bought a used Win 7 PC off Ebay, but it turned out not to be useful, so I need some tips or shopping guidelines on what to look for. Mostly I need this PC to play online movies/TV shows, Youtube videos, etc., without buffering, freezing, or similar nonsense. Other than this, it will mostly be used to explore the internet (I have Linux for online banking/shopping). I would like advice on what to look for that will meet these needs. Which Win 7 version...Home or Pro, 32-bit or 64-bit? CPUs: i3, i5, i7? Dual or quad core? Integrated graphics or graphics card? How much RAM? Stuff like this that will help me buy the right PC this time.

So the brands are a choice between Dell or HP....is one better? I require a tower or mini-tower model, so it has a spare 5.25 bay for my mobile rack (what runs my secondary HDD with Linux). I require VGA connection for my monitor. I know there are adapters, but they never work as good as an actual VGA connector. I require minimum 8GB RAM for my 64-bit Linux to run best. If you need additional info, feel free to ask. Thanks for any help.

Since you are asking for advice, get Windows 10. W7 is over 10 years old. It is no longer being supported by Microsoft. If you insist on W7, stay off the Internet so you don't become a threat to me and others.

Harsh? Perhaps. But that's the way it is. W7 needs to go the way of XP.

Beyond that, you didn't state a budget.

Completely agree. Go for Windows 10. As mentioned Windows 7 has been end of life (no support) since January and this means no more support for the operating system, no more security patches. This also means that software vendors will stop supporting it as well.

This can put you at risk and others as some malware will co-op your system into attacking other systems on the network and even target friends and family depending upon what is on your system and the malware capabilities.

Alternately you could go some Chrome books which can be quite cheap and fairly secure.

Since you are asking for advice, get Windows 10. W7 is over 10 years old. It is no longer being supported by Microsoft. If you insist on W7, stay off the Internet so you don't become a threat to me and others.

Number 1- Not the advice I asked for. Number 2 - Quite slumming in a Win 7 forum, and get your self back to your beloved Win8/10 forum. I don't go to your forum, and tell you about all the myriad corporate spyware/malware chock full in your awful OS, or poke your sacred cow with this stick:
and laugh about the 1111 vulnerabilities in your nearly factory fresh poor excuse for an operating system. Oopsie...guess I just did! And by the way, if your OS was soooo great, you would not be worried about Win 7 or XP Pro, but considering your 1111 vulnerabilities, guess you have good reason to be skittish. I'm using XP Pro right now, and considering how unsecure it is supposed to be, if anyone should be worried and threatened, it should be me by your 1000+ exploits. Harsh? You betcha. Guess I'm tired of you Win 8/10 fanboys neverending hobby of deriding other operating systems, and your OCD-like fixation on EOL/EOS blather.

So I guess this Win 7 forum is about a s genuine as an abortion clinic front run by rabid jesusfreaks, huh? Its clear to me you fools ain't here to give advice to Win 7 users, and since i will never use your beloved Win 8/10 crap, this forum is about as useful to me as a pari of tennis shoes to a legless man.

That's the advice most people will give you with half a brain. Buy one from ebay if you truly want Windows 7, but I wouldn't suggest doing anything on the internet. Windows 10 isn't spyware. It does collect usage data that isn't tied to a person. That data drives future development of the operating system.

Number 1- Not the advice I asked for.
LOL

That's funny. You come asking for advice, you get sound advice from multiple, experienced people. But because you don't like the advice, you rant in two posts with a bunch of personal insults in a puerile tirade. Gee whiz. Talk about OCD and blather.

Well said. Seems to be the norm. Throw insults while hiding behind your keyboard.

Back