Windows 7 I want a completely offline PC. Possible?

metroid

Honorable Member
I am getting a new PC with Windows 7. What I would like to do is run this PC completely offline and never connect it to the internet. I want it to be a somewhat clean "local workstation" for editing photos and various things. I will have a separate computer for all the "normal stuff" like internet, email, shopping, etc.

Is this possible to do?

Or does Windows need to connect to the internet occasionally to check in with the MS servers?

Any advice, tips, ways around issues, etc would be appreciated greatly!

Windows 7 will happily chug along just fine with no internet connection. I would however connect it during setup to do activation, and allow Windows Update to fully until no more updates are shown. Having the latest updates might save you from possible application compatibility issues, bugs, etc. You can also most likely disable some Windows Services (do your research!) to do with Networking, and disable the onboard NIC as you won't be requiring it. This might save you a bit of resources, and make it perform just a tad better. You'll be able to disable Windows Update, BITS, etc. Whether you keep Antivirus on the machine is up to you (could still get a virus from removable media), but then you'd manually have to update the definitions.

Windows 7 will happily chug along just fine with no internet connection. I would however connect it during setup to do activation, and allow Windows Update to fully until no more updates are shown. Having the latest updates might save you from possible application compatibility issues, bugs, etc. You can also most likely disable some Windows Services (do your research!) to do with Networking, and disable the onboard NIC as you won't be requiring it. This might save you a bit of resources, and make it perform just a tad better. You'll be able to disable Windows Update, BITS, etc. Whether you keep Antivirus on the machine is up to you (could still get a virus from removable media), but then you'd manually have to update the definitions.

Thank you for the helpful reply

Back