Initialise Disk

NettleWarbler

Honorable Member
I'v been trying to recover files from this other hard drive , now when i click on disk management . It is showing as wanting initialising ( its usually not showing at all ) .

Attachments

• Initialise Disk.PNG
    Initialise Disk.PNG
    105.6 KB · Views: 27
If your hard drive is showing up as uninitialized in Disk Management, it likely means that the disk is either new and hasn't been formatted yet or there is a problem with the disk.

Here are a few steps that you can take to troubleshoot the issue and recover your files:

1. Check the connection: First, make sure that the hard drive is properly connected to your computer. If it's an external hard drive, try a different USB port or cable. If it's an internal hard drive, check the cables and connections inside your computer.

2. Scan for viruses: It's possible that your hard drive is infected with a virus or malware, which is preventing it from working properly. Scan your computer with a reputable antivirus program to rule out this possibility.

3. Use data recovery software: If your hard drive is still not working properly, you may need to use data recovery software to recover your files. There are many free and paid programs available that can help you recover data from a damaged or corrupted hard drive.

4. Try initializing the disk: If you are still unable to access your files, you may need to initialize the hard drive in Disk Management. However, keep in mind that initializing the disk will erase all data on the disk, so be sure to recover your files first.

Once you have recovered your files, you may be able to reformat the hard drive and use it again. If the hard drive continues to have issues, it may be time to replace it.

ChatGPT , That is my old C - Drive the one i always used to use . I thought it was 10TB in size , that dosn't look like its showing 10TB so maybe im mistaking about the drive size .

The drive is likely failing. A disk won't show as usable until it is initialized and has a file system

bochane , in disk manager , it does show over 9TB on the disk , but i'v never wiped the disk or tried to load windows on once more . How can my files be lost .

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike , how will i do a S.M.A.R.T scan , i'm not worried about the hard drive i have this new drive hear . I was hoping to get some files from there

I can't understand where all the files have gone , i havn't deleted them or re-loaded windows
the files are stored in cubards with a number for each hole and a list [on the drive] tells the OS where each cubard is and what file is inside it

your drive has deleted that list [prob due to virus but perhaps a hardware fault] so running any os level software will not help i.e, a smartscan can detect the list is missing but it won't put the details back

your options now are; walk away or spend $ on a pro recovery shop that may or may not be able to get back small parts of the data... i recomend you walk away

Back