Windows 7 iPOD cannot be read as Removable Storage Device

kelso

Hello! I just purchased my new laptop today and it has Windows 7 on it. It has been wonderful so far, but the one problem I have run into is considering my iPOD/iTunes. I tried to download a 64bit version of iTunes but every one I download says *32bit in Task Manager. I don't know if iTunes is the problem or not (because iTunes works regardless) but when I try to plug my iPOD into my computer it cannot be read as a removable storage device in My Computer. I went to apple.com and fixed the issue but only for a moment. I had to reinstall the driver and it worked, the yellow ! was no longer next to the iPOD's name: "USB Mass Storage Device." However when I opened iTunes the yellow ! came back and my iPOD will no longer be read as a removable storage device. I can't tell if its iTunes' fault or if its Windows 7 that's causing this problem. Please help!

I got this from the Apple support page, give it a shot if you havent already.

Select "Enable disk use" or "Manually manage music and videos." Either one will allow you to use iPod as a drive. If you select "Manually manage music and videos," iTunes won't automatically update iPod with the iTunes library. If you want iTunes to automatically update your iPod, select "Enable disk use" instead

You should be able to find the options in preferences.

Oh BTW, Im running x64 and mine says *32bit in Task Manager too.

Last edited:
hmm I will try it. the thing is I need it as a removable disk drive because that is how I get all of my songs back onto my computer from the iPOD, otherwise I lose all of my songs.

I figured out it's definitely iTunes and how I can't find an actual 64bit version. If I uninstall iTunes, my iPOD is read as a device with removable storage.

Last edited:
Thanks for that SharePod link its installing now and its going to take 20 minutes so hopefully it works.:rolleyes:

Back