Irreparable Harm - - Gimme a break

john3347

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
It appears that Microsoft is going to play the pity card in their ongoing battle with i4i and the injunction against Microsoft's use of Custom XML which i4i holds the patent to. Microsoft is, perhaps with a somewhat less cocky attitude than they displayed during the recent proceedings, now claiming that it would result in "irreparable harm" to the company if they are forced to immediately abandon the patent infringement. They claim that it will, or would, take months to re-engineer the application to conform to the recent ruling, during which time, they would have NO product to offer.

I will not express my personal opinion regarding this issue here, but doesn't it seem strange that microsoft goes from this big bully - even being so defiant in court that they were levied an additional $40 million fine for the lawyers' outbursts and contemptious ploys in court; now they are this meek company that is about to be ruined by a court decision to discontinue sale of a product that they have produced knowingly and deliberately infringing on a patent held by another?

MS Word Injunction 'Irreparable Harm', says Microsoft / Infopackets.com

Last edited:
Good Post John3347 :) Must say MS do look like there in trouble on this one . Many people could lose there jobs over this issue .

Reckon this might drive Ballmer to take up smoking? Hope it drives him, and the rest of the organization, to have more respect for the rights of competitors - - - and needs of customers.

I'll bet you a cigarette that even if they flat-out lose this case that no one will be fired and there will be no more than a few day's break in the supply of Office to customers. Wanna bet?

Last edited:
Reckon this might drive Ballmer to take up smoking? Hope it drives him, and the rest of the organization, to have more respect for the rights of competitors - - - and needs of customers.

I'll bet you a cigarette that even if they flat-out lose this case that no one will be fired and there will be no more than a few day's break in the supply of Office to customers. Wanna bet?

Well it sure will be interesting to see how this one develops . :)

I think so, too

I thought there were a few options available @ one point. Including that MS & i4i could or would come to some sort of arrangement or understnading, settlement

But, not this mired mess & the ripple effect sux!

Drew

I think there were, and may yet be, some options but Microsoft with their high and mighty attitude figured, "We don't have to deal with these people, we'll just crush them."

I am still convinced that the biggest fear on Microsoft's part is that this could be a turning point in their domination of the computer world. If they lose this case, perhaps it will set a precedence from which similar suits will be filed by and lost to other "little guys" that have been tromped by Microsoft. The attorney probably spoke the truth when he stated, immediately after the verdict, that this ruling was "no big deal" for Microsoft, and it is on principal and not fear of "irreparable harm" that Microsoft is appealing.

Back