Is 1600p enough screen real estate to warrant upgrade from 1440p?

trog69

Fantastic Member
Now that I have a new z170 system, and seeing how low-priced the higher-def monitors are now, plus the fact that I need another monitor ( my brother is the recipient of the old but still very potent gaming rig) I was wondering if going to a 2560x1600 monitor would be a major boost in screen real estate, or if it is mostly useless in games? I really love this 1440p monitor I have now. IPS has such a huge advantage over TN panels in how the colors really pop. And the larger screen-going from 24" 1080p-made a huge difference in how much I can see in-games. But is the added size, vertically, worth the added cost?

Anyone have experience with both sizes?

The higher pixel density is just going to give you a crisper image. You still would need a physically bigger screen or a graphics card that supports a higher screen resolution to get more "screen real estate".

The higher pixel density is just going to give you a crisper image. You still would need a physically bigger screen or a graphics card that supports a higher screen resolution to get more "screen real estate".
Sorry for the late response. I have a 980ti SC+ card, so that's not an issue. I already have a 2560x1440 monitor, so all that is added is a bit more vertical screen.

I was just curious if any PC gamers here have used both sizes of monitor and if the added size would be enough to pay the higher price. I am leaning towards it not being worth the extra price, but I don't have a 1600p monitor to compare.

Back