Windows 10 Is Your VPN Leaking Your IP Address?

whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
Premium Supporter
One of the primary reasons people use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is to hide or disguise their true IP address while they're online. For instance, some sports fans can watch a game that's blacked out in their area by tricking a website into thinking the user/viewer, based on their IP address, is in another part of the country or world. (Whether that's fully legal is another matter).

Others who are concerned about their privacy hide their IP address because they don't want advertisers tracking their online behavior and purchases and then matching that information to their IP address.

Oftentimes, websites will deny a person's computer access by "blacklisting" their IP address, if that website feels someone has violated a rule. But by using a VPN, a user can get around the ban on their normal IP address. Better yet, websites have no way of finding out the true IP address.

That is, unless their VPN has a leak. Then they might have something to be concerned about.

Recently, news came out about a security flaw in VPN connections that may allow websites (or investigators) to track down a person's true IP address while they're using a VPN. That's not supposed to happen.
Security "flaw."
There is a special interface (program) in most Internet browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc.) called Web Real Time Communication, or WebRTC, and that's where the so-called flaw is.

However, WebRTC isn't a flaw at all. It's actually a special facet of your Web browser.

WebRTC allows computers on different networks to perform special browser-to-browser applications, such as voice calling, video chats, file sharing and more.

But as it turns out, in the hands of a technically savvy person, WebRTC can be tricked into revealing your actual IP address, even if you're actively using a VPN! That's certainly not what you would expect or want.
Is Your VPN Leaking Your IP Address? You'd better find out

Huge Security Flaw Leaks VPN Users' Real IP-Addresses - TorrentFreak

Last edited:
I guess the reason my news was belated was due to my recent aquisition of a , VPN
That fact has tended to make my interest in the vulnerabilities of said , VPN, a practical one. I have done all the required housekeeping and now I leak nothing. Not even a Golden one :bigtongue:
Incoming !
Donald Duck :eek:

good to hear, whoosh … have no doubt you will enjoy the possibilities … just don't be staying up too late come superbowl weekend :p

just be aware that turning off media options in your browser to hide the ip address may also block you doing other things like uploading files

of course thats a good time to dust off that 2nd browser that you never really used

I do tend to download more then upload but do have a couple of browsers that are on standby. For that rainy day :teeth:

I have heard the same thing that few VPNs are leaking true IP. Recently, Netflix also tracked VPN access and prevent VPN users from accessing Netflix.

The Netflix thing is mostly true. There are ones they still work with it though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back