Mac OS Issue with Git Push failing on macOS 11.0 Big Sur with ESET Cyber Security Pro (for Mac)

kemiy

Hi I'm using git for source control and with the latest version of either ESET Cyber Security (for Mac) or ESET Cyber Security Pro (for Mac) I can not get the git Push to work while ESET Real-time File System Protection is enabled.

Git fails with the following error:
The Remote End Hung Up Unexpectedly: Troubleshooting and Prevention
Push failed
failed to read object <<The Object ID>>: Interrupted system call
the remote end hung up unexpectedly
failed to push some refs to 'https://my git url'

When I disable Real-time file system protection, it works perfectly.

My workaround right now is to disable it do the push and then re enable it.

Is there an exclusion I can add to avoid this?

Last edited:
It seems like you are experiencing an issue with Git push failing on macOS 11.0 Big Sur with ESET Cyber Security Pro enabled. This problem occurs specifically when the ESET Real-time File System Protection is enabled.

The error you provided, "failed to read object: Interrupted system call," indicates that there is a problem reading the Git object during the push operation. This error is commonly observed when there is interference from security software. Disabling Real-time File System Protection temporarily allows the push to work, suggesting that the issue lies with ESET Cyber Security Pro.

To avoid this problem, you can try adding an exclusion to ESET Cyber Security Pro for the Git executable and its associated files. This exclusion will prevent ESET from scanning or interfering with the Git-related processes.

To add an exclusion in ESET Cyber Security Pro, follow these steps:

1. Open ESET Cyber Security Pro on your Mac.
2. Click on the gear icon in the menu bar to open the advanced settings.
3. In the advanced settings, navigate to Real-time File System Protection.
4. Scroll down to the Exclusions section and click on "Add" to add a new exclusion.
5. In the exclusion settings, browse and locate the Git executable file, usually located at /usr/bin/git.
6. Select the Git executable and any other associated files or folders related to your Git repository.
7. Click "OK" to save the exclusion.
8. Restart your Mac to ensure the exclusion takes effect.

By adding this exclusion, ESET Cyber Security Pro should no longer interfere with the Git push operation, allowing you to push your changes without disabling Real-time File System Protection.

Please note that this solution assumes that ESET Cyber Security Pro is the cause of the issue. If the problem persists even after adding the exclusion, you may need to contact ESET support for further assistance.

It seems like you are experiencing an issue with Git push failing on macOS 11.0 Big Sur with ESET Cyber Security Pro enabled. This problem occurs specifically when the ESET Real-time File System Protection is enabled.

The error you provided, "failed to read object: Interrupted system call," indicates that there is a problem reading the Git object during the push operation. This error is commonly observed when there is interference from security software. Disabling Real-time File System Protection temporarily allows the push to work, suggesting that the issue lies with ESET Cyber Security Pro.

To avoid this problem, you can try adding an exclusion to ESET Cyber Security Pro for the Git executable and its associated files. This exclusion will prevent ESET from scanning or interfering with the Git-related processes.

To add an exclusion in ESET Cyber Security Pro, follow these steps:

2. Click on the gear icon in the menu bar to open the advanced settings.
3. In the advanced settings, navigate to Real-time File System Protection.
4. Scroll down to the Exclusions section and click on "Add" to add a new exclusion.
5. In the exclusion settings, browse and locate the Git executable file, usually located at /usr/bin/git.
6. Select the Git executable and any other associated files or folders related to your Git repository.
7. Click "OK" to save the exclusion.
8. Restart your Mac to ensure the exclusion takes effect.

By adding this exclusion, ESET Cyber Security Pro should no longer interfere with the Git push operation, allowing you to push your changes without disabling Real-time File System Protection.

Please note that this solution assumes that ESET Cyber Security Pro is the cause of the issue. If the problem persists even after adding the exclusion, you may need to contact ESET support for further assistance.
thank you so much for your suggestion. really appreciate that

Last edited:
thank you so much for your suggestion. really appreciate that
You're welcome! I'm glad I could help. If you have any more questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your Git push!

It seems that you are experiencing issues with Git push while ESET Real-time File System Protection is enabled on macOS 11.0 Big Sur with ESET Cyber Security Pro. This can be quite frustrating, but there might be a solution for you.

One option is to add an exclusion in ESET Cyber Security Pro to avoid interference with Git operations. To do this, follow these steps:

2. Go to the main menu and select "Preferences."
3. In the Preferences window, click on the "Exclusions" tab.
4. Click the "+" button to add a new exclusion.
5. In the new exclusion dialog, select "File" as the type.
6. Browse to the location of your Git repository and select the main directory.
7. Click "OK" to add the exclusion.
8. Close the Preferences window.

By adding this exclusion, ESET Cyber Security Pro should not scan or interfere with any files or operations within your Git repository. This may help prevent the interruption you are experiencing when pushing to your remote repository.

It's important to note that by adding this exclusion, you are essentially excluding the entire repository from ESET's real-time file system protection. Make sure to exercise caution and be mindful of potential security risks associated with excluding certain files or directories from your antivirus software.

If this exclusion does not solve the issue, you may need to reach out to ESET support for further assistance. They should be able to provide more specific guidance or troubleshoot the problem in more detail.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Back