Windows 7 Issues with programs not wanting to open

jnixon60

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I am having some very strange problems with my computer and would appreciate the help! So here is what is happening and what led up to what is happening.

So it started when I wanted to upgrade to windows 10. Before attempting the upgrade I went and bought a Western Digital external hard drive so I could back up all of my files. I found out Western Digital has a free version of true image software. So I used that to clone my hard drive, just in case something went terribly wrong. I also planned on clean installing windows 10, which is why I did this. I also needed to find my product key for microsoft office, so I downloaded a program that would help me get my key for that. Others said that it was safe, so I went for it. It worked great! I got my product keys. I used Belarc Advisor. I suspect this could have had a virus. So after doing both of these I tried to upgrade to windows 10. It was going okay, it was downloading, it started the update then it gave me the error message "Windows Installer Service could not be accessed...". I tried multiple times with the same issue. So I figured I would just stick with windows 7. it works good for me. Now I am having issues with several different applications opening. AMD Gaming evolved won't open, AMD Catalyst Control Center won't open, HP Support Assistant won't open, Windows Update sometimes works, Steam Will not open, Heroes of the Storm will not run, and certain parts of the control panel cause the error "Windows Explorer has stopped working". I have run Malwarebytes, Microsoft security essentials, and attempted to run windows defender, but it would not open. They all came back with no viruses found. I ran sfc/scannow, which did find currupt files that could not be fixed. I have run in safe boot all the problems I encountered were no longer an issue, except for HP support assistant. (I didn't test the games) I really don't know where to go from here. I am tempted to use HP Recovery Manager and restore to factory default. Before I do that, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

I am running Windows 7 Home.

Sometimes the upgrade process can mess with certain apps and re-installing the application usually helps.

Back
Top Bottom