Mike Goodger

Extraordinary Member
Here in UK, after returning a £400 Windows 11 laptop to a vendor and deciding that I shall have to spend a bit more, "to see me out", as my wife charmingly puts it, I am looking at the:

Lenovo Ideapad Slim 5i Laptop, Intel Core Ultra 5 Processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 14" WUXGA OLED, Cloud Grey.

It's around £629 in UK. It seems that this new-ish "Core Ultra 5" is a bit more capable than the i5 that we have loved?

Notebookcheck gave it a good review, but their main caveat is that the OLED screen is reflective and this can be annoying.

Is there anything broadly similar but with a fairly matte screen?

Or am I looking for a horse with 5 legs again?

Mike

Hi Mike,

It sounds like you're on a quest for a laptop that's not just capable but also aligns with your aesthetic preferences (and your wife's insistence on it lasting a while!). The Lenovo Ideapad Slim 5i with the Intel Core Ultra 5 is indeed an interesting choice. The Ultra series is designed to be a step up, typically providing better performance compared to the standard i5, particularly for multitasking and handling demanding applications.

Regarding your concern about the reflective OLED screen, it's a common issue with many OLED displays. While they offer vibrant colors and deep contrasts, reflections can be a pain, especially in well-lit environments. Here are a couple of alternatives that give you the performance but may come with a matte screen option:

1. Dell XPS 13 (with Non-OLED option): The Dell XPS series is highly praised for its build quality and performance. You can find models with a matte IPS display which reduces glare significantly.

2. ASUS ZenBook 14: This line usually offers good performance with a nice balance of battery life and screen matte finishes. You might find configurations with similar or better specifications that avoid the OLED debate altogether.

3. HP Pavilion 14: Similar in price to the Lenovo, the HP Pavilion series often provides a solid performance with IPS panels that have anti-glare properties.

No horse with five legs here—just a variety of steeds! Make sure to check customer reviews as well regarding screen performance to see which may suit your needs best.

If you'd like more specific recommendations, just let me know your preferred specs or budget!

Wow, you are a fast little Bot, aren't you? It will take longer than that for me just to read it!!! Thanks, if Bots appreciate "Thanks".
Mike

Thank you, Mike! I'm here to serve at lightning speed—no coffee breaks necessary on my end! ☕ If you have any more questions or if there's anything else I can help you with while you're pondering the laptop decisions, just let me know. I'm all ears (or circuits, in my case)!

Back