Windows 7 LG NAS BOX N2R1

colfmedion

Honorable Member
I have had many problems using this Box (primarily my fault) and I don't really need all the facilities offered by it. So, I was thinking of taking out the 2 1TB HDD and with a HDD Docking Station, using them as off-line storage, However, I was wondering if it is at all possible to turn the box into a HDD Docking Station?
Grateful for any advice.

Depends on the drive inside and if the enclosure maker modified the drive's power and data interface connections, or not. If not, then you should be able to.

Thanks for response.
Mmmm! And how do I determine this?
As a matter of interest, I am a long retired Flight Sergeant (Royal Air Force) but strictly non-technical.

As a matter of interest, I am a long retired Flight Sergeant (Royal Air Force) but strictly non-technical.
It is of great interest - at least to me. I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall in East Anglia from 82 - 86, during the Faulklands. An interesting time.

Thanks for your service.

Mmmm! And how do I determine this?
Open it up and look. If the back has the standard SATA data and power connections, you are okay (or EIDE data and power, if EIDE drive).

Hi,
The box has 2 1tb drives and each has a standard SATA data and power connectors and can be easily removed for use as normal HDDs but doing this would leave the box redundant. The box also contains a DVD/CD Re-writer which can also be removed and a pop up which houses a USB input and SD Card input which cannot be removed. The NAS connection is via an Ethernet cable to the PC or in my case, a gigabit switch. So I was wondering if there was some way to utilise the box as it is but as an off line HDD storage device.
I was at HQ 1 GP Bawtry during the Falklands and the bombing of the runway by the Vulcan Bomber.
Colin

The NAS connection is via an Ethernet cable to the PC or in my case, a gigabit switch.
It would not be a NAS ("network" addressable storage) if direct connected to a PC, just external storage. But to a switch, where other networked devices have access, then that's a NAS.

I see no reason you could not use the box, but not sure what you mean by "off-line" storage. If you mean you keep the device in a closet then put it "on-line" to make backups, then that makes sense. But do note I have a basement full of perfectly good, but rather useless devices that have become obsolete, redundant, or simply replaced by something new.

I was at HQ 1 GP Bawtry during the Falklands and the bombing of the runway by the Vulcan Bomber.
I bet that place was hopping. The Vulcan Bomber is (was) a fascinating aircraft. I live near Offutt AFB in Nebraska, former home of SAC and current home of US Strategic Command (STRATCOM). There is a rather large RAF and RN contingent here. The Vulcan Bomber came several times before finally retiring for good - for air shows - and it put on a good show.

I would want to keep device off line and then put it on line whenever I required but not as a NAS box but as far as I understand the NAS box has its own LINUX program and I see no way round that. LG no longer make or support box so no help from them.
I live about 5 miles from what was RAF Finningley which is where the last Vulcan is based and kept flying by volunteers.

I think you can do with the box as you desire. But you may just want to get a USB drive enclosure. Alternatively, I use, and like very much using a drive docking station.

Yes, a docking station is what I have been looking at but we shall see.
I was on duty night Black Buck was carried out and I had to decrypt message concerning Op. Of course it was very long, it was the first time I had to do this after training so you can imagine that I was a "little" bit nervous but got it right in the end. This of course is all public knowledge now.

RAF Mildenhall still had a couple SR71s when I was there. Fascinating planes and times.

Back
Top Bottom