Windows 7 Long Hang Times, Too Long...

zephus

I'm trying to install Windows 7 32-bit build 7000 on a new computer I had just built. Now, this is not because I'm choosing to, but because I couldn't install Windows Vista Home Premium either. I had to settle for something.

What happens is that my computer is booting regularly into the DVD with the 7 image on it. After the load screen and the little four lights moving about, I get the traditional blue underwater wallpaper with the version designation on the bottom right.

And that's it...

It stays like that, it hangs.

Before I move on, this is my setup

Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H Motherboard
AMD Phenom 9750
Seagate SATA Barracuda 500gb 3.0gb/s
Patriot Memory DDR2 1066 2gbx1

And that's as much as I can explain. I had removed my video card and sound card from the device in order to try to fix whatever is holding it back, because I can hear, see and witness my optical drive and hard drive working. I can't even get to the "install now" screen.

And strangely enough, this same thing happens when I try a Vista installation. No "install now" button to press.

I'm planning on leaving it on for a good while to see what will happen, but I'm afraid I'm at a loss.

If anyone can help... this is a kick-*** system that really needs help. Thanks so much...

This is feeling terrible,

Oh, more info:

I have not set up a raid_0 or raid_1 because I'm using only 1 SATA hard disk, plus I've tried ACHI... (i think) and IDE modes. Still same results.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are experiencing difficulty installing both Windows 7 and Vista on your new computer. The fact that you are encountering the same issue with both operating systems suggests that there might be a hardware-related problem or compatibility issue causing the installation to hang.

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the installation issue:

### Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Check Installation Media:
- Ensure that the installation DVD for Windows 7 is not damaged. Try using a different DVD or create a new installation USB using a reliable tool like Rufus.

2. Check Hardware Compatibility:
- Verify that all your hardware components, especially the motherboard, processor, RAM, and hard drive, are compatible with Windows 7 or Vista.

3. Update BIOS:
- Check if there is a BIOS update available for your Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard. Updating the BIOS can sometimes resolve compatibility issues.

4. Memory Test:
- Run a memory test using a tool like Memtest86 to check if your Patriot DDR2 1066 RAM is functioning correctly.

5. Disconnect Unnecessary Hardware:
- Remove any unnecessary hardware like additional drives, sound cards, or video cards. Only leave the essential components connected for the installation.

6. Hard Drive Check:
- Ensure that your Seagate Barracuda 500GB hard drive is in good condition. You can run diagnostics using Seagate tools if available.

7. Load Optimized Defaults:
- In the BIOS settings, load optimized defaults to ensure that any incorrect configurations are reset.

8. Change SATA Port:
- Try connecting the hard drive to a different SATA port on your motherboard to rule out any port-related issues.

9. Test Different Installation Options:
- Try installing Windows 7 with default settings. Avoid customizations like RAID configurations initially to simplify the installation process.

10. Install Windows Updates:
- If you manage to boot into Windows successfully, make sure to install all available updates as they might contain fixes for installation issues.

### Additional Notes:
  • Incompatibility: Windows 7 might have limitations with newer hardware components. It could be worth considering a more recent version of Windows that is fully compatible with your system.
  • Driver Support: Verify that drivers for your hardware components are available for Windows 7 or Vista. Lack of driver support can lead to installation problems.

Please try these steps and let me know if any of them help in resolving the installation issue you are facing. If the problem persists, we can explore further troubleshooting options.

Back