Magnetic Pick Up Tool and PC's

Elmer

Extraordinary Member
I have an acquaintance (honest, not me!) who has had a few overheating problems. To this end I suggested evicting the dust bunnies from his case and pointing a fan in. If this cooled it down significantly then I suggested, if he had space, add a Arctic Cooling TC fan or two (love these!!). He did this (two, one front blowing in, one back blowing out), I assume OK, as he is engineering based and has what I'd call gumption.

As he was standing his case up he could see/hear a screw rattling about that he'd dropped and went fishing, and caught it, with one of those extendible magnetic pick up tools. Now he's having a problem. Personally I'm thinking a "dislodged connection", the description over the phone was vague, i.e. "Hey Kev, me f****n computer won't work properly". Before I go round and have a look later, what are your opinions on using this type of pick up tool close to micro circuitry equipment. Good? Bad?

Personally I'd say bad. But I've no proper founding for that opinion. Just a gut instinct.

I have no proper founding for this either, but I'd also say bad.

"Hey Kev, me f****n computer won't work properly"

I get phone calls off one mate like this all the time.

An update.

Went round my mates. Started up his PC fine etc.. At some point I crossed my legs and banged the case with my foot and the PC powered down.
A firm push on the PSU mains connector/plug, et voila! Problem solved!

Still unsure about magnets next to micro circuitry though!

Elmer,
Sounds like a FIX, Eh?

But what's making the hair stand up on my neck, is your comment, "At some point I crossed my legs and banged the case with my foot ".
You gotta be kidding me. The computer is sitting on the floor? Boo BAD!

This PC sat on the floor too,,,,, until it overheated and CRASHED.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

I've never understood, taking the most delicate, sensitive, high tech, electronic device in the house and putting it on the floor.
It should NEVER be on the floor. It should have a place of prominence depicting it's cost and importance.

A swift kick can also cause a hard drive CRASH. I just scrapped out an HP PC that was sitting on the floor and got kicked once too often.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't know of any component in a PC that would or could be damaged by a magnetic pickup tool scavenging a loose screw from the bottom of the case.
I once tried to erase a floppy disk with a magnet. NO GO!
PC's are pretty much impervious to small magnets. Just a thought.

Cheers Mate!
OT :cool:

Elmer,
Sounds like a FIX, Eh?

But what's making the hair stand up on my neck, is your comment, "At some point I crossed my legs and banged the case with my foot ".
You gotta be kidding me. The computer is sitting on the floor? Boo BAD!

LOL!! :D No, it's not sitting on the floor! It's on a shelf within the desk, approx 12" "off the deck" (I cross my legs high!!).

Sorry for the 'jumping to conclusions' thing. That happens a lot.

I still encourage all my customers to put their PC's on the desktop, where they are easier to operate, stay cleaner and safer too.

A funny story:

I was at a customer's house one day and I had practically begged him to get his PC up off of the floor, to no avail.
I was sitting there tuning up the PC and recovering it from damage his grandchildren had done, when the guys dog came up and heisted his leg to pee on the front of the PC.
A quick kick sent him on his way and prevented a possible Real-Problem.

I think of that episode, every time I see another PC sitting on the floor.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

OT :cool:

Back