Windows 8 Make Critical Windows Services dependent on our service

Majid Salsal

Hi,

For a technical and security reason, I need to make one or more critical Windows services (basically in Windows 8.1) dependent on my service so that whenever my service fails to start, the other failed services put the OS in a non-recoverable and unusable state. Simply, my failed service will bring the Windows completely failed to Load.
I tried a lot of them such as "Power" and "User Profile Locator" using "sc config ...depend=" command, also some services under the following address "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\currentcontrolset\services". But, surprisingly nothing happened and Windows continued to work!.
Does anybody know a practical combination of these services, or could tell another approach to get benefit from.
Also, LSM service showed an "Access Denied" message when trying to use the above command.

Sincerely Yours
Majid Salsal

A service can be slaved to another service but as a practical consideration, Windows will resist/ ignore attempts to debilitate itself as unstable isn't normally something desired and any essential service which doesn't start at system boot would assume mal-ware infection then revert to the fail-safe backups. More importantly WHY?

Scenarios were a control needs to be exerted over a slave system use tools such as the hyper-v management console (single stand-alone) to multi-server options like "system center" but you appear to want a code option… does this have to work from within a group policy environment?

Scenarios were a control needs to be ... from within a group policy environment?

My problem does not relate to group policy environment. I simply want to bind some critical windows services to my service's running status. If my service failed to start, then those services would fail too and thus Windows would get into a very unstable condition. If not possible, at least some important processes such as "Wininit.exe" or "svchost.exe" would be killed or something like this.
I want a solution to prevent a malicious attacker to bypass my service before logging in to the Windows.

Scenarios were a control needs to be ... from within a group policy environment?

My problem does not relate to group policy environment. I simply want to bind some critical windows services to my service's running status. If my service failed to start, then those services would fail too and thus Windows would get into a very unstable condition. If not possible, at least some important processes such as "Wininit.exe" or "svchost.exe" would be killed or something like this.
I want a solution to prevent a malicious attacker to bypass my service before logging in to the Windows.

Back