Windows Vista Making programs available to standard accounts

wayne

Hello!
I just got a computer with Windows Vista Premium. So far, so good. I have a question about making programs installed in Admin available to standard accounts.

I set up iTunes in an admin account complete with music files, etc. I also set up a standard account for web surfing. When I logged into the standard account, it was as if iTunes had never been installed. I had to install again, but I'm hesitant to go through the reconfiguration of the library, etc.

Here's the question: How do I make the iTunes I installed in the admin account accessible to the standard account?

Thanks for your help!

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Yes, working with admin & standard accounts certainly causes its share of problems. Have a look at the workaround below and see if it helps!!!

You might be the only account on the machine, but you're probably a "Standard User"

So what you now need to do is the following:

Go into Control Panel, go into Administrative Tools and then go into the Local Users and Computers, you will need to enable the Administrator account and maybe specifiy a password then log off.

You can now log on as the Administrator and uninstall iTunes.
What I would do now is upgrade your account from Standard User to Administrator.

You could also disable the requirement for UAC to elevate your credentials when working with programs but you will have to deal with the security centre complaining that your computer is at risk every time you log into Windows.

Once you sort out the accounts and the permissions and get used to this feature it's not so bad.

But it is annoying.

Hello!
I just got a computer with Windows Vista Premium. So far, so good. I have a question about making programs installed in Admin available to standard accounts.

I set up iTunes in an admin account complete with music files, etc. I also set up a standard account for web surfing. When I logged into the standard account, it was as if iTunes had never been installed. I had to install again, but I'm hesitant to go through the reconfiguration of the library, etc.

Here's the question: How do I make the iTunes I installed in the admin account accessible to the standard account?

Thanks for your help!

Wayne

Hi Wayne,
If the above post doesn't work try right-clicking on the iTunes launch'exe' and hit properties. Along the top of the revealed box you'll see one of the tabs is called 'security', if you click that you can then set about changing permissions to whatever works best.

Back