Metro apps on Windows 7 is a bad, bad idea

News

Extraordinary Robot
Robot
As we move closer to the launch of Windows 8 -- and the sea change that the Metro user interface brings to the platform -- there's an ever increasing drumbeat of both skepticism, concern, and apprehension depending on who you talk to. End users are skeptical of Metro because they do not see its value. The interface completely changes how we interact with Windows, and in some cases will confuse ...

More...

The interface completely changes how we interact with Windows
That is a completely ridiculous and false statement by those doomsday experts. Put your 3 icons (or nothing) into the start page and move on. Nobody forces you to use it. The desktop is only 1 click away.

I'm using Windows 8 CP, for the majority of web viewing, getting to the desktop is no problem. It works as well, if not better, than any previous version of Windows.

However, I do see Metro as being a serious problem converting it to run on Windows 7/Vista, mainly because these OS's were not designed to run it. It would require a total overhaul of the OS's.

Windows 7 is perfect as is. Those who wants Metro can move forward to Windows 8, those who don't should stick with what they're currently running. I'll probably clean install Windows 8 onto my desktop, but will probably keep Windows 7 on my notebook. On my low-spec desktop, Windows 8 performs a lot better.

No difference on my notebook. Therefore, I'll stick with Windows 7.

Cat

At least you found one good reason to use Win8 - performance. Did you try the new IE (the tablet version). That is really neat.

No, I don't use IE unless I have to. I was a loyal IE user until IE8 arrived, it made my XP notebook that I had at the time very slow. Prior to that, when I was using IE7, it was fast.

Switched to FF 3.5RC (this was in 2009) & haven't looked back. There are a couple of things that I use IE for, such as running online virus scanners, or searching for updates, but that's it.

Cat

Back
Top Bottom