Windows 11 Miracast not working while it actually should

Tombays

Hello anyone!
You've read the title.
I'm already trying to solve this for a day or two, tried many things internet recommended:
- Installed the latest driver for my GPU (RTX 3070 by Palit)
- Updating/reinstalling driver for both my eth and wifi adapters​
- Restarting windows​
I also did the dxdiag thing:
Code:
------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 10/17/2023, 20:10:58
             Machine name: TOMBAYS-PC
               Machine Id: {BB0D5C63-07E1-49D3-998D-AD60EF8829BF}
         Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: ZET Gaming
             System Model: WARD H095
                     BIOS: F4d RB (type: UEFI)
                Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
                   Memory: 32768MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 32638MB RAM
                Page File: 13579MB used, 21105MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\Windows
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, no HDCP        <-------------------
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
 DirectX Database Version: 1.4.7
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.22621.0001 64bit Unicode
so this does show that my pc is suitable for miracast, but windows won't let me.
Win + K shows next:
1697656506880.png
My one and only assumption is that my wifi dongles don't support it but that would be a shame cuz i don't really want to buy new one.
Also related to the dongle problem: should miracst work over ethernet giving my PC is connected to the same router?

I'd be glad to hear anything that could fix or at least identify the problem!

Hello!

From the information you provided, it seems that your PC meets the requirements for Miracast, but you are still experiencing issues. Let's try to troubleshoot this further.

First, let's address your assumption about the Wi-Fi dongles. Miracast requires specific Wi-Fi hardware and drivers that support the Wi-Fi Direct feature. Some older Wi-Fi adapters or dongles may not support it. To check if your dongles are compatible, you can visit the manufacturer's website or consult the product documentation.

Regarding your question about using Miracast over Ethernet, unfortunately, Miracast requires a Wi-Fi connection, and it does not work over Ethernet. Miracast uses Wi-Fi Direct technology to establish a direct wireless connection between your PC and the display device.

Now, let's explore some additional troubleshooting steps:

1. Confirm the compatibility of your display device: Ensure that the device you are trying to connect to supports Miracast. Check the manufacturer's website or user manual for information on Miracast compatibility.

2. Update the firmware of your display device: Sometimes, updating the firmware of your display device can resolve compatibility issues. Visit the manufacturer's website for instructions on how to update the firmware.

3. Check if Miracast is enabled in Windows: Go to "Settings" > "System" > "Display" > "Connect to a wireless display". Ensure that the "Wireless display" toggle is enabled.

4. Check if your firewall or antivirus software is blocking Miracast: Temporarily disable any firewall or antivirus software on your PC and check if Miracast works. If it does, you may need to configure your security software to allow Miracast connections.

5. Restart your router: Sometimes, restarting your router can help resolve connectivity issues. Power off your router, wait for a few seconds, and then power it back on. Once the router has restarted, try connecting via Miracast again.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be worth considering alternative methods to connect your PC to your display device, such as using an HDMI or DisplayPort cable.

I hope these suggestions help you in resolving the Miracast issue. Let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with!

Hello!

From the information you provided, it seems that your PC meets the requirements for Miracast, but you are still experiencing issues. Let's try to troubleshoot this further.

First, let's address your assumption about the Wi-Fi dongles. Miracast requires specific Wi-Fi hardware and drivers that support the Wi-Fi Direct feature. Some older Wi-Fi adapters or dongles may not support it. To check if your dongles are compatible, you can visit the manufacturer's website or consult the product documentation.

Regarding your question about using Miracast over Ethernet, unfortunately, Miracast requires a Wi-Fi connection, and it does not work over Ethernet. Miracast uses Wi-Fi Direct technology to establish a direct wireless connection between your PC and the display device.

Now, let's explore some additional troubleshooting steps:

1. Confirm the compatibility of your display device: Ensure that the device you are trying to connect to supports Miracast. Check the manufacturer's website or user manual for information on Miracast compatibility.

2. Update the firmware of your display device: Sometimes, updating the firmware of your display device can resolve compatibility issues. Visit the manufacturer's website for instructions on how to update the firmware.

3. Check if Miracast is enabled in Windows: Go to "Settings" > "System" > "Display" > "Connect to a wireless display". Ensure that the "Wireless display" toggle is enabled.

4. Check if your firewall or antivirus software is blocking Miracast: Temporarily disable any firewall or antivirus software on your PC and check if Miracast works. If it does, you may need to configure your security software to allow Miracast connections.

5. Restart your router: Sometimes, restarting your router can help resolve connectivity issues. Power off your router, wait for a few seconds, and then power it back on. Once the router has restarted, try connecting via Miracast again.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be worth considering alternative methods to connect your PC to your display device, such as using an HDMI or DisplayPort cable.

I hope these suggestions help you in resolving the Miracast issue. Let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with!
Just checked, really neither of them does support wifi-direct. Obviously that's a problem

Just checked, really neither of them does support wifi-direct. Obviously that's a problem
Yes, if your Wi-Fi dongles do not support Wi-Fi Direct, it will indeed be a problem for using Miracast.

As Miracast relies on Wi-Fi Direct technology to establish a direct wireless connection between your PC and the display device, having compatible Wi-Fi hardware and drivers is crucial.

Since your Wi-Fi dongles do not support Wi-Fi Direct, you might need to consider alternative options for wirelessly streaming your PC's screen to a display device.

One option is to look into getting a Miracast adapter or receiver that can be connected to your display device. These adapters typically have built-in Wi-Fi Direct support and can receive screen mirroring signals from compatible devices.

Another option is to use a different wireless technology, such as Chromecast or Apple AirPlay, depending on the devices you have. These technologies provide similar screen mirroring capabilities but require specific devices that support them.

If wireless options are not feasible, you can always connect your PC to the display device using an HDMI or DisplayPort cable. This will provide a reliable and stable connection for streaming your PC's screen.

I hope these alternatives help you find a suitable solution for streaming your PC's screen. Let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with!

Back