Windows 10 Windows 10 Home - Miracast Connection to Samsung TV

NazTheEternal

I've recently purchased a Samsung 85" 4K UHD HDR QLED Smart TV (QN85Q70CAFXZC) and in attempting to connect my PC on Windows 10 Home (which is connected to my modem via Ethernet and WiFi-6) the connection constantly fails. I am able to see the TV on the list of connections, I receive a prompt to allow the connection on the TV when I initiate it from my PC, but after that it simply fails stating "The connection request was not successful...".

I've had success in connecting other devices such as my laptop (Windows 10 Home), phones, android tablets, etc. to the TV with success.

I've tried a number of things, as outlined below and am now at a loss... Is there a log somewhere I can view the details or some level of information as to why then connection fails? Let me know if you need any more information to help me troubleshoot this.

Any guidance is most appreciated, I'm at my wits end...

Things I have tried:
  • Rolling back, updating and reinstalling drivers for WiFi adapter and Miracast
  • Changing display settings/resolution on PC and disconnecting additional screens
  • Checked both TV and PC for driver updates
  • Turning on/off different connection types (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi)
  • Changing bandwidth between 5ghz and 2.4ghz to ensure I'm on the same Wi-Fi network
  • Disabling Windows Defender and any other firewall
  • Confirming that Miracast is compatible and available with my PC (DxDiag confirmed this)
  • Checked WiFi settings match the settings on my laptop (that was able to connect to the TV)
OS Name & Version: Windows 10 Home x64 (10.0.19045 Build 19045)

TV Name & Model: Samsung 85" 4K UHD HDR QLED Smart TV (QN85Q70CAFXZC) - 2023

System Details:
  • Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K 3.61 GHz
  • RAM: 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700
  • VGA 1: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
  • VGA 2: Intel UHD Graphics 770 (on-board)

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties in connecting your Windows 10 PC to your Samsung 85" 4K UHD HDR QLED Smart TV. This can be frustrating, but I'll do my best to assist you in troubleshooting the issue.

From your detailed description, it seems like you've already attempted several troubleshooting steps. However, I have a few additional suggestions you can try:

1. Check Wi-Fi Direct settings on your TV: Wi-Fi Direct is the technology that enables Miracast connections. Ensure that Wi-Fi Direct is enabled on your Samsung TV. The steps to enable Wi-Fi Direct may vary depending on the TV model, so consult your TV's user manual or support documentation for specific instructions.

2. Restart your PC, TV, and router: Sometimes, simply restarting your devices can resolve connectivity issues. Power off your PC, TV, and router for a few minutes, then power them back on and try connecting again.

3. Reset network settings on your TV: You can try resetting the network settings on your Samsung TV. This will remove any saved Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth connections. Again, the steps may vary, so check your TV's manual for instructions on how to reset the network settings.

4. Check for firmware updates: Ensure that your Samsung TV has the latest firmware installed. Manufacturers often release firmware updates that address connectivity and compatibility issues. Visit the Samsung support website, enter your TV model number, and check if any firmware updates are available.

5. Try using an HDMI cable: If all else fails, you can use an HDMI cable to directly connect your PC to your TV. This will bypass the need for a wireless connection and should allow you to mirror your PC's display onto the TV.

In regards to your question about logs, Windows does keep event logs that can help diagnose connectivity issues. You can access these logs by following these steps:
1. Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select "Event Viewer" from the menu that appears.
2. In the Event Viewer window, expand the "Windows Logs" folder and select "System".
3. Look for any events with a timestamp that corresponds to your attempted Miracast connection. These events may provide more detailed information about the connection failure.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue and successfully connect your PC to your Samsung TV. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties in connecting your Windows 10 PC to your Samsung 85" 4K UHD HDR QLED Smart TV. This can be frustrating, but I'll do my best to assist you in troubleshooting the issue.

From your detailed description, it seems like you've already attempted several troubleshooting steps. However, I have a few additional suggestions you can try:

1. Check Wi-Fi Direct settings on your TV: Wi-Fi Direct is the technology that enables Miracast connections. Ensure that Wi-Fi Direct is enabled on your Samsung TV. The steps to enable Wi-Fi Direct may vary depending on the TV model, so consult your TV's user manual or support documentation for specific instructions.

2. Restart your PC, TV, and router: Sometimes, simply restarting your devices can resolve connectivity issues. Power off your PC, TV, and router for a few minutes, then power them back on and try connecting again.

3. Reset network settings on your TV: You can try resetting the network settings on your Samsung TV. This will remove any saved Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth connections. Again, the steps may vary, so check your TV's manual for instructions on how to reset the network settings.

4. Check for firmware updates: Ensure that your Samsung TV has the latest firmware installed. Manufacturers often release firmware updates that address connectivity and compatibility issues. Visit the Samsung support website, enter your TV model number, and check if any firmware updates are available.

5. Try using an HDMI cable: If all else fails, you can use an HDMI cable to directly connect your PC to your TV. This will bypass the need for a wireless connection and should allow you to mirror your PC's display onto the TV.

In regards to your question about logs, Windows does keep event logs that can help diagnose connectivity issues. You can access these logs by following these steps:
1. Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select "Event Viewer" from the menu that appears.
2. In the Event Viewer window, expand the "Windows Logs" folder and select "System".
3. Look for any events with a timestamp that corresponds to your attempted Miracast connection. These events may provide more detailed information about the connection failure.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue and successfully connect your PC to your Samsung TV. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask.

1. Confirmed that this is enabled.
  2. Did this multiple times, even reestablished the WiFI settings
  3. Reset the TV a couple of times
  4. Confirmed tried this
  5. Not possible, too far away
Checked the logs and found this message at exactly the time I triedto connect...

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} and APPID {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97} to the user DESKTOP-IRFYG\Irfy SID (S-1-5-21-1499757653-2964530452-168817557-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.1949_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

4. Confirmed tried this
Checked the logs and found this message at exactly the time I triedto connect...

Code:
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} and APPID {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97} to the user DESKTOP-IRFYG\Irfy SID (S-1-5-21-1499757653-2964530452-168817557-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.1949_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
The error message you found in the event logs indicates a permissions issue related to the COM Server application on your PC. This could potentially be the cause of the Miracast connection failure. To resolve this, you can try modifying the security permissions using the Component Services administrative tool. Here's how you can do that:

1. Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type "dcomcnfg" and press Enter. This will open the Component Services window.
3. In the Component Services window, expand the "Component Services" folder, then the "Computers" folder, and then the "My Computer" folder.
4. Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" from the context menu.
5. In the Properties window, go to the "COM Security" tab.
6. Under the "Access Permissions" section, click on the "Edit Limits" button.
7. In the "Access Permission" dialog box, make sure that the user "DESKTOP-IRFYG\Irfy" is listed and has the necessary permissions. If it is not listed, click on the "Add" button to add it.
8. Select the user "DESKTOP-IRFYG\Irfy" and make sure that the "Local Access" and "Remote Access" permissions are enabled. If they are not enabled, check the boxes next to these permissions and click "OK" to save the changes.
9. Click "OK" in the "Access Permission" dialog box and then click "OK" in the Properties window to close it.
10. Restart your PC and try connecting to your Samsung TV again.

By modifying the security permissions for the COM Server application, you may be able to resolve the issue with the Miracast connection. If this doesn't resolve the problem, please let me know and we can further troubleshoot the issue.

4. Confirmed tried this
Thank you for providing the error message from the event logs. Understanding the specific error message can help in troubleshooting the issue further.

Based on the error message you shared, it seems that there might be a compatibility issue between your PC and the TV when establishing the Miracast connection. This could be due to outdated drivers or firmware on either the PC or the TV.

Here are a few additional steps you can try:

1. Update display drivers: Visit the manufacturer's website for your graphics card (NVIDIA in your case) and download the latest drivers for your specific model. Install the updated drivers and try connecting again.

2. Update firmware: Check the Samsung support website for any firmware updates specifically related to Miracast or wireless connectivity. If there are any updates available, follow the instructions provided to update the firmware on your TV.

3. Disable any antivirus or firewall software temporarily: Sometimes, security software can interfere with the Miracast connection. Temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall software, then try connecting again to see if that resolves the issue.

4. Test with another PC: If possible, try connecting a different Windows 10 PC to your Samsung TV to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is specific to your PC or if it's a compatibility issue with the TV.

5. Contact support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it may be beneficial to contact the support team for either the PC manufacturer or Samsung. They may have additional troubleshooting steps or be able to provide more specific guidance based on the error message you encountered.

I hope these suggestions help you in resolving the connection issue with your Samsung TV. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to ask.

The error message you found in the event logs indicates a permissions issue related to the COM Server application on your PC. This could potentially be the cause of the Miracast connection failure. To resolve this, you can try modifying the security permissions using the Component Services administrative tool. Here's how you can do that:

1. Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type "dcomcnfg" and press Enter. This will open the Component Services window.
3. In the Component Services window, expand the "Component Services" folder, then the "Computers" folder, and then the "My Computer" folder.
4. Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" from the context menu.
5. In the Properties window, go to the "COM Security" tab.
6. Under the "Access Permissions" section, click on the "Edit Limits" button.
7. In the "Access Permission" dialog box, make sure that the user "DESKTOP-IRFYG\Irfy" is listed and has the necessary permissions. If it is not listed, click on the "Add" button to add it.
8. Select the user "DESKTOP-IRFYG\Irfy" and make sure that the "Local Access" and "Remote Access" permissions are enabled. If they are not enabled, check the boxes next to these permissions and click "OK" to save the changes.
9. Click "OK" in the "Access Permission" dialog box and then click "OK" in the Properties window to close it.
10. Restart your PC and try connecting to your Samsung TV again.

By modifying the security permissions for the COM Server application, you may be able to resolve the issue with the Miracast connection. If this doesn't resolve the problem, please let me know and we can further troubleshoot the issue.
Attempted this approach and the changes seem to have taken effect, unfortunately I still get the same error as indicated below...

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user DESKTOP-IRFYG\Irfy SID (S-1-5-21-1499757653-2964530452-168817557-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.1949_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Attempted this approach and the changes seem to have taken effect, unfortunately I still get the same error as indicated below...
I apologize for the inconvenience. Since you have already tried the suggested troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, it's possible that there may be a compatibility issue between your PC and the Samsung TV. Here are a few more suggestions that you can try:

1. Try using a different Miracast receiver: If available, test the Miracast connection with a different Miracast receiver or display device to see if the issue is specific to the Samsung TV. This can help determine if the problem lies with the PC or with the TV.

2. Update the graphics drivers for your Intel UHD Graphics 770: Although you have a dedicated NVIDIA graphics card, as per the system details you provided, you also have an integrated Intel UHD Graphics 770. Make sure to update the drivers for both the NVIDIA graphics card and the integrated graphics card. Visit the Intel and NVIDIA websites to download and install the latest drivers for your specific graphics cards.

3. Check for firmware updates for the TV: Visit the Samsung support website and check if there are any firmware updates specifically related to Miracast or wireless connectivity for your TV model. Update the firmware if there are any available updates.

4. Check for BIOS updates for your PC: Visit the MSI support website and check if there are any BIOS updates available for your motherboard. BIOS updates can sometimes improve compatibility with external devices, including wireless display connections.

5. Use a Miracast dongle or adapter: If the above steps don't resolve the issue, you can consider using a Miracast dongle or adapter. These devices plug into the HDMI port of your TV and provide additional wireless display capabilities. They can bypass any compatibility issues between your PC and the TV.

If none of these solutions work, it may be worthwhile to contact the technical support teams for both your PC manufacturer and Samsung. They may be able to provide further assistance and help resolve the issue based on their specific product knowledge.

I hope these suggestions help you in resolving the connection issue with your Samsung TV. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to ask.

Alright, so I started messing about with the solution shown in this Reddit thread and was able to solve it after about 12 hours of tinkering...

So for the sake of the next person that pulls their hair out trying to solve this, here are my findings...

1. NVIDIA GPU's do not support Miracasting - not sure why, but this is fact
  2. The error code I was getting was something to do with "WI-FI direct groups" and my PC trying to force that

The solutions to the above issues

1. As per the Reddit thread I posted...

Change GPU Preference for Miracast
  1. 2.1 go to the under left Windows Logo on your desktop and press the right mouse button while you´re hovering over it

2.2 Select " Settings "

2.3 go to " System "

2.4 now select " Display " as the active Option

2.5 choose your Monitor / Display you want to Miracast

2.6 scroll down to the " Graphic Settings "

2.7 in the new Window choose in the first drop Down Menu " Universal App "

2.8 Choose " Connect " as the preffered Application

2.9 add the Application

2.10 Now lets go to " Settings "

2.11 Choose your prefference to " energy saving " -> " Intel UHD XXX " ( XXX is the Intel GPU graphic your system have) OR the Intel GPU the system shows you

2.12 Now you could use Miracast again because your Intel GPU provides Miracast Support and skips your NVIDIA GPU as the primary GPU for this process in WIndows 10

2. Under Windows Local Group Policy Editor, I "Enabled" the "Enable AD/DFS domain controller synchronization during policy refresh" setting (see image below)

1694148816243.png

Back
Top Bottom