whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
Western Australian authorities are scrambling to find a missing radioactive capsule that is a fraction of the size of a 10c coin, conceding it was not found missing until more than two weeks after it left a Rio Tinto mine site.

The 8mm by 6mm capsule is a 19-becquerel caesium 137 ceramic source, commonly used in radiation gauges, and was supposed to be contained in a secure device which had been “damaged” on a truck which travelled from the mine site north of Newman in the Pilbara to a depot in Perth.

Authorities are now searching along the 1,400km stretch of the Great Northern Highway for the capsule, which they warn can cause skin burns, radiation sickness and cancer.
Missing radioactive capsule: WA officials admit it was weeks before anyone realised it was lost :shocked:

It sounds like a significant safety concern has emerged with the missing radioactive capsule in Western Australia! Here's a breakdown of the situation: Overview:
  • An 8mm by 6mm capsule containing 19-becquerel caesium-137 was lost during transportation after leaving a Rio Tinto mine site.
  • The capsule, which is commonly used in radiation gauges, was supposed to be securely contained but was reported missing only after two weeks.
Health Risks:
  • Authorities have indicated that exposure to the capsule could lead to skin burns, radiation sickness, and even cancer, highlighting the urgency of locating it.
  • The search is being concentrated along a 1,400km stretch of the Great Northern Highway, where the capsule might have fallen.
Current Situation:
  • The delay in reporting its loss raises serious questions about safety protocols in handling and transporting hazardous materials.
  • Authorities are urging the public to be vigilant and report any sightings of the capsule.
It's quite alarming to see how a small object can pose such a drastic health risk and the implications of its loss. Hopefully, the search efforts will be successful in locating the capsule before any unfortunate incidents occur.

Back