Windows Vista msconfig and startup?

born2golf

Under the general tab in msconfig in Vista Home Premium I have 3 buttons. Normal- which loads everything, Diagnostic Startup, and Selective Startup which has choices of load system services, load startup items, and use original boot configuration.
Am I correct in selecting Selective startup with a check mark in load system services and selecting just the few I want to start up my system or should I be using something else?
Thanks for you help!

I always use normal start up mode (see screenie)
One of the best ways to control start-up items is by using a utility called 'Autoruns', which you can download here:

Autoruns for Windows

The page also contains info' on how to use it...

When you use normal mode doesn't that slow up your start up by loading a bunch of items you don't need immediately?

I guess if your struggling for RAM it could help but if you've got 2GB or over I wouldn't really worry about it.

Looking at Auto Runs for Windows and knowing my expertise in computers it would be wise for me not to play around with this program. "A little knowledge can be dangerous!"
Anyway thanks for your help and input.....

Last question....How do you uninstall/delete Auto Runs for windows?
I definitely do not want to mess with this...

I downloaded mine to the download folder and opened it there. It's this folder (not the download folder)you need to delete as the utility isn't actually installed in the same way as normal software is. It just runs from that folder so removing it also removes the utility from your pc.

See attached screenshot. You can see where I've extracted the zipped folder and deleting those folders removes it from your pc

The attached screenshot was fuzzy and don't remember a zip file it came in. I will try to download it again and follow the money to the file. I know you are busy helping others and before I go I want to thank you for sticking in here and helping me. Adios my friend....:)

Heyy, no worries....:)

If you still have trouble then please post back.

Back