Windows 10 MSi systems

ragnarok1968

I'm reporting for ANYONE who is looking to buy an MSi gaming laptop or desktop to think a second time.

I called MSi customer support and the REP stated that NOT based on the BIOS but motherboard, the Laptops are designed to run Windows only. they said people might be able to install UBUNTU or other Linux flavor.

It IS my intention to create a campaign when I get all of the information necessary information I need. it is my preliminary contention that, this could be a case of monopolistic practices IF I can acquire the information on WHY MSi builds their mainboards for Windows only.

I don't want to jump the gun at this point and will gather all information and then weigh in the results on an antitrust class action lawsuit. again, if applicable.

but for now, be aware that MSi does admit that their systems were designed for Windows 10 ONLY at this time. You might get luckier than I did on getting an entirely different OS on their system.

I'll keep you all posted.

-Chris

I'd call BS and that the rep you talked to didn't know what they were talking about. Some motherboards do only allow for UEFI and can't be put into legacy mode, this would prohibit a distro from installing if it didn't have a signed efi boot loader. Pretty much all of the bigger distros have signed efi boot loaders and offer them to anyone freely.

I'd call BS and that the rep you talked to didn't know what they were talking about. Some motherboards do only allow for UEFI and can't be put into legacy mode, this would prohibit a distro from installing if it didn't have a signed efi boot loader. Pretty much all of the bigger distros have signed efi boot loaders and offer them to anyone freely.

ok cool. It does do ( UEFI, UEFI+CSM and Legacy). I'll try legacy. But it did seem odd that the Rep stated their systems are Windows only. this set me back 2k and it should be able to do what the users decides to do with the OS.

I have tried to get Ubuntu 17.04 on this but for some strange reason, it won't boot after installation. There's a trusted system chip on the mainboard. there's a Custom setting and a standard setting and asks me to reset keys under trusted platform settings. I wonder if that could be a problem? I'll take shots with my smartphone of the BIOS menus and such when I get back home.

The TPM is for storing keys typically for full disk encryption and won't impact booting. The laptop I'm on now has a TPM, secure boot enabled and UEFI booting and I'm running Mint.

If it's brand new hardware you likely just need the newer kernel. Is this an Intel board or AMD Ryzen?

If it's brand new hardware you likely just need the newer kernel. Is this an Intel board or AMD Ryzen?

Intel with a Skylake 6th Gen.
here's a response from MSi just moments ago

Dear Christopher msi dose not support any other OS besides Windows. we don't stop the system from placing other OS on the system but do not guarantee it. I have heard of people placing other OS on them but cant remember witch ones they were there is no need to make a change to the bios.

strange. so this person doesn't outright say they don't make them as I mentioned earlier, but can't guarantee putting another OS on the system.
What would you make of the reply @Neemobeer?

Should work fine. They just don't test with anything other than Windows.

Kaby Lake Gen 7 and Ryzen require kernel 4.10 which is why I asked. Ubuntu ships with 4.9

Should not have to disable ACPI and I wouldn't anyway. You're going to have issues if you do. ACPI controls power management

@Neemobeer , they should, for good business, do something. my issue was that the Os would install fine but on reboot, the cursor would sit upper left and blink. my Bios was set to legacy, tried UEFI, then UEFI+CSM. I have a magazine, Linux Format.. edition 224 with a DVD installation for 17.04. I prefer an LTS version of course, but maybe it would behoove me to contact Ubuntu about MSi systems. I could send them the BIOS features in picture format and see if they can figure out the headaches. I will install from the DVD and see if it was a usb drive issue and maybe I'll have to stick with old school DVD media. tedious but so are women right? LOL :p (Hope no women regular these boards...) :wound:

If you're having issues with gen i7 or Ryzen when installing use the acpi=off and iommu=soft kernel boot params. Then once in whatever flavour you've chosen do a full update and grab the 4.10.x kernel. All MSI are really saying is we haven't tested it as the majority use windows. Also for non signed bootloaders you can sign them using the efi shell and a copy of the Microsoft dvd or .efi files.

the acpi= off and such would be during the menu I see on booting the DVD/USB? what you stated blows me away. I haven't been that technical in years. made me feel like I threw away that 2 grand

giphy.gif

Ok I just verified that, on the enclosed INSTALLER DVD, also comes with kernel 4.10.x as well. Been running into many various posts that recommend the kernel upgrade as well as install. With acpi off.

I always install with acpi off and iommu in software. Zero issues that way for me

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hmm I would try the kernel first. I've used Linux for over 10 years and I've never needed to disable ACPI

For me the opposite is true. I think it's some of the AMD boards I've used in the past have messed up acpi tables. Also apparently happens a lot with laptops.

Ok, how I got 17.04 installed for future reference:
I first set my BIOS to turn off secure boot
Set Boot to UEFI and not CSM
Set TPM to 2.0 mode with 1.x compatibility mode TPM mode setting is for if you plan to self encrypt your drive. (I didn't) I set it anyway.
pretty straight forward but it worked like a charm. Many people are having issues with MSi Laptops and Ubuntu

Back
Top Bottom