Windows 7 Mulitple Machines for testing Win 7? No problem!

l3it3r

I wanted to test Win7 on a live machine - outside of VM Ware or VPC 2007. So I built my old PC up so it would run again and then fired it up, installed Win 7 (7000) and then realized I had an issue. The space required to have my Laptop and another machine's keyboard and mouse was limited on my desk, plus it's just ridiculously annoying to have to switch input devices. A KVM would be one possible solution, but that too is a bit annoying and very limited.

SO, I get on the internet and google around for a while. I finally come across an application called 'Input Director'.

You install the software on both PCs and as long as they are networked together, when you come to the edge of the screen on one, it will jump the cursor to the other PC's screen! The keyboard follows the mouse, and they even share a clipboard! No more clutter! The only downside I've seen so far is that Input Director does not load before the Login screen when you first power up so you still need to have a keyboard plugged in for when you have to restart the other PC.

It all works seamlessly and even works in games like Half Life (just press ESC) to bring up the menu and then you can go back to the other PC.

The best part is that it's FREE.

Input Director

Back