Windows 7 My DVD-ROM Drive is disabled in Windows 7?

ace2525

When I go to my computer it has a 'BD-ROM Drive' but my DVD-ROM/CD-ROM drive does not appear. I tried putting a CD but nothing happens.

Under device manager I have a CD-ROM drive enabled but below that is 'PBDS DVD+-RW DS-8W1P ATA Device which when I click says this device is disabled (Code 22). I try to click 'enable device' but when I go through the troubleshooting wizard is says windows cannot enable the device.

Can anybody help me? I just want to upgrade my Windows 7 Beta 7022 to 7048 but can't do it without my CD-Rom drive.

I want to get his fixed but if I cant would I be able to upgrade Windows 7 from Vista (I'm running a dual-boot) or will that write over my Vista partition?

It seems like you are experiencing issues with your CD-ROM drive on your computer, particularly with the 'PBDS DVD+-RW DS-8W1P ATA Device' showing as disabled in the Device Manager with error code 22. Let's address this step by step:

### Issue with CD-ROM Drive:
1. Error Code 22 - Disabled Device:
- When facing a Code 22 issue, it suggests that a device has been disabled in the hardware. This could be due to various reasons such as driver conflicts or issues with the device itself.
- Since you've tried enabling the device through the troubleshooting wizard but it failed, we might need to take a different approach.

2. Steps to Resolve the Issue:
- Update or Reinstall Drivers:
Start with updating or reinstalling the drivers for the PBDS DVD+-RW DS-8W1P ATA Device. This might resolve any driver-related issues causing the device to be disabled.

- Check Hardware Connections:
Ensure the CD-ROM drive is correctly connected to your computer. Sometimes, loose cables or improper connections can lead to such issues.

- Check for Hardware Issues:
If updating drivers and checking connections don't work, there might be a hardware problem with the CD-ROM drive itself. It could be malfunctioning and might need to be replaced.

### Windows 7 Upgrade Options:
- Upgrading from Windows 7 Beta 7022 to 7048:
Upgrading from a Windows 7 Beta version to another Beta version might not be supported by Microsoft. It's recommended to perform a clean installation of the newer version for better stability.

- Upgrading from Vista to Windows 7:
- Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 is supported and can retain your files, settings, and programs depending on the upgrade path chosen.
- You can upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 without overwriting your Vista partition. During the installation process, you can choose to upgrade and keep your existing data.

### Action Steps:
1. Resolve CD-ROM Drive Issue:
- Try updating or reinstalling the drivers for the PBDS DVD+-RW DS-8W1P ATA Device.
- Check the hardware connections.
- If the issue persists, consider hardware replacement.

2. Upgrade to Windows 7:
- For upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista, follow the upgrade process during installation to retain your Vista partition and data.

If you encounter any difficulties during these steps, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Back