My experience with the HP Stream 11.6", 2gb, 32gb

JoshWillway123

So, I recently bought myself a HP Stream in the lowest config for college. It was £140, or about 180 USD. It's been my main laptop since that, I have a desktop for more horsepower if need be and when I'm out I'm not going to be doing anything intense. I got the Aqua blue colour with the latest CPU, a Celeron N3060. My experience with it thus far, What I'm using it for now, which is mainly word documents, YouTube and Spotify it performs adequately. One thing I was pleasantly surprised with was the keyboard, this thing is hands down one of the best keyboards I've used. Its feel and size make for a great typing experience. The screen is about what you can expect for the price, its not god awful but its not 4k IPS, the viewing angles in the vertical sense are shoddy, albeit in the horizontal they are okay, you won't have to be dead on centre to view the screen but you wont want to be too far off.

The performance whilst browsing the internet is decent, when just browsing the web it will be fast enough, not blisteringly fast albeit fast enough. The limited ram may slow down on some bigger sites like news sites like the BBC and WSJ but for watching YouTube it's a good enough experience as long as the screen doesn't annoy you.

Doing anything more taxing on the system may be easy to achieve given its specifications but most games from the windows store should run without a hitch, things like Minecraft- Windows 10 Edition from the store will run fine but if you're into Minecraft I wouldn't recommend the full version as the system likely can't handle it.

My experience with this, albeit limited is good overall and I don't think it deserves all of the flak it gets for being 'slow and unreliable'

I bought this exact same laptop for my daughter for her elementary school homework. So nothing taxing, just paper research and Word. And it died about 30 days later. The SSD went out according to how the blinking light was flashing on the caps locks button. And the bottom of the laptop isn't screwed on so I'd end up bending and maybe cracking the casing trying to replace it. And because it was so cheap the cost of purchasing a new SSD wouldn't be worth it. I'm glad that you've had a good experience with it. But for the price you definitely get what you pay for. Thank goodness Amazon was willing to take the laptop back. Only thing that sucks is that I purchased a laptop sleeve for that size and a keyboard cover for that exact model that we won't be able to use again. So the keyboard cover is a total waste.

Back