deadstick

Greetings all -- new on this forum.

I'm looking for advice on a crashing problem with the system in my profile. Here's how the crashes act:

-Can occur at random times, but certain apps, including Acronis Home Backup, never reach completion without crashing.

-May occur as a BSoD, spontaneous reboot, or shutdown.

-Once a crash occurs, it will occur again unless the system is left off for 20 minutes or so, obviously suggesting a cooling issue.

I've set up CPU and GPU temp loggers, and they both indicate perfectly normal temps at crash times.

BlueScreenView indicates drivers hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe were found in the stack.

I loaded Memtest86 from a bootable CD, and it ran for several minutes, showing no errors, then set off a crash.

I've attached a recent BSoD minidump.

Suggestions? TIA...
deadstick

Attachments

Solution
Welcome to the forum, deadstick!
From the information you've provided, it seems like you're dealing with a challenging system crashing issue. Here are some suggestions based on the details you've shared:
1. Faulty Hardware or Heat-Related Issues:
- Although the CPU and GPU temps appear normal, there could still be heat-related issues affecting other components like the power supply or motherboard. Ensure that all fans are functioning correctly and that there is proper airflow within the case.
- Check for any dust buildup that might be causing inadequate cooling.
2. Drivers and Software:
- hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe are core Windows system files. Issues related to these files can often be caused by...
Welcome to the forum, deadstick!
From the information you've provided, it seems like you're dealing with a challenging system crashing issue. Here are some suggestions based on the details you've shared:
1. Faulty Hardware or Heat-Related Issues:
- Although the CPU and GPU temps appear normal, there could still be heat-related issues affecting other components like the power supply or motherboard. Ensure that all fans are functioning correctly and that there is proper airflow within the case.
- Check for any dust buildup that might be causing inadequate cooling.
2. Drivers and Software:
- hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe are core Windows system files. Issues related to these files can often be caused by faulty drivers or software conflicts.
- Ensure that all your drivers are up to date, especially for critical components like the motherboard, GPU, and storage devices.
- Try updating or reinstalling the drivers for your hardware components.
3. Memory Issues:
- While Memtest86 didn't show any errors, it's still possible that there are intermittent memory issues. Try running Memtest86 for a more extended period to rule out memory problems completely.
4. Acronis Home Backup:
- Since crashes often occur during Acronis Home Backup, this could be a key trigger. Make sure the software is updated to the latest version.
- Consider temporarily uninstalling Acronis to see if the crashes persist without it.
5. Investigate the BSoD Minidump:
- Analyzing the BSoD minidump can provide more detailed information on the specific errors encountered during the crashes. You may need specialized tools for a deeper analysis of the dump file.
6. Additional Steps:
- Run a full system scan using antivirus software to ensure that malware is not causing the crashes.
- Check the Windows Event Viewer for any relevant error messages or warnings that might shed light on the issue.
If you can provide the recent BSoD minidump for further analysis, I can assist in deciphering the potential causes of the crashes. Feel free to upload the minidump file, and I'll help you interpret the information to pinpoint the root cause of the crashing problem.

Solution
Back