Windows 8 Need help .... Please 8.1

Adenuff

Ok gonna cut a long story very short ...... Brought a new tower in January this year with 8.1 on , shit happened and pointing fingers isn't going to help me now . So this is my problem , wiped or thought I did the hard drives to try and start a fresh , I've gone out and got a hard copy of Windows 8.1 .... For the product key they want because I was getting no where with the tower . Now my PC doesn't want to except the product key of the one I've got , this is after buying pro that I didn't really want to get a product key . On bios I've put it to start up on DVDs , have now spent another $40 on PC repair kit to fix additional problems . So $400 tower , $129 on pro $150 windows 8.1 $40 on repair kit plus more .......and still don't have a PC that works .

What do I have to do so I can just get going because ......... Well because I need Help and thank you if you are able to give a bit of your time .

Hi,
so you tried to clean install windows 8.1 which you had just bought and the activation key wouldn't work yes?

Have you double checked you typed the correct key?

If your absolutely certain that the copy of Windows is legit then try phone activation and speak to the guys at Microsoft. Instructions on how to phone activate are given onscreen.

Where did you buy the copy of Windows from?

I brought the HP Clereon from JB with windows 8.1 installed on it , had troubles with iTunes . Was cut of half way through on a Friday afternoon . Not gonna drag it out but have put a new motherboard on because the one well ....anyway put the hard drive on new mother board but wanted an activation key ....after a few weeks thought well got 8.1 go and buy pro from JB and just upgrade the 8.1 . Didn't work and was told I wasn't allowed to do this . Ok so now again I've gone back to JB HI and have brought 8.1 , spoke to them and yep just put disk in and all will be good , I've just feel like after two copy's 8,1 , an 8.1 recovery disk , recovery usb and a copy of not really needed pro , can't put my windows 7 and what ever else back on . I'm actually feeling like my photo and so over it . I'm not blaming anybody because I'm at fault as well , but I've tried to do the right thing to fix and am out of pocket . Just need a little bit of help or advice .

Hmm...ok. Well your first copy of windows 8.1 which came with the machine is whats called an oem copy and is non transferable to another machine. Changing the motherboard is considered by Microsoft as 'another machine' which is why you got the activation prompt.
Now with the second copy you bought, a full version I gather, you simply need to boot from the install DVD by changing the boot order in the bios so it will boot from DVD (watch for the prompt on start up 'press any key to boot from DVD' or something like that otherwise Windows will simply ignore the disk and boot up normally. You can't use the activation keys for any other installs other than the one they were supplied with. Hope this helps some..

Back
Top Bottom