Windows 10 Net View works, then sometime later returns error 53, reboot router, works again.

IrvSp

Extraordinary Member
On W10 2h20 with all the latest fixes as of today.

Don't know when this has started, but it is annoying.

Only 2 PC's on the network LAN and a Printer (wireless).

Just booted right now and it does work:

=================
C:\>net view
Server Name Remark

--------------------------------------
\\HP7855 Samba 3.0.37
\\IRV8700 Irv's 8700
\\TP-SHARE samba server
The command completed successfully.
==================

I've started the other computer and it still works:

===================
Server Name Remark

---------------------------------------------
\\HP7855 Samba 3.0.37
\\IRV8700 Irv's 8700
\\LA-XPS8500 La XPS8500
\\TP-SHARE samba server
==================

Sometime during the day it will not and I get an ERROR 53. NET VIEW on other PC still works fine?

If I reboot, it again works. If I just reboot the router, it again works.

Don't know when it actually stops working?

I've searched the web for the error 53 and none of the pages help or address this?

As far as I can tell, it started around the time of the 2h20 update? I am focusing on my PC alone, not the other one. I think it never has a problem. My PC is running the HOME version, the other PRO.

I've done the NBTSTAT -RR as well. Only the ROUTER reboot or this PC reboot fixes it it seems? Since this is a wireless PC I even switched SSID's and it doesn't help?

Suggestions?

Please copy and paste the EXACT ERROR MESSAGE or take a screenshot.

with best regards
OK, but it is the ERROR 53, which is the "The network path was not found", not happening now. Every day it happens, I just don't know when?

I can PING the ROUTER, my PC, and other devices. Have to use the IP Addresses though.

Right now, since it is working, I can use the NetBios names:

===========
Server Name Remark

-----------------------------------------------------------
\\HP7855 Samba 3.0.37
\\IRV8700 Irv's 8700
\\LA-XPS8500 La XPS8500
\\TP-SHARE samba server

C:\>ping tp-share

Pinging tp-share [192.168.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 2ms
====================

BTW, I posted here and not in the Network sub-Forum as I feel this is probably a Windows problem more than a Network one.

It almost makes me think that the problem is loss of NetBios resolution or the list of devices can't be found from the PC or Router that is the Master Browser?

I'll post back when it does fail again.

Please copy and paste the EXACT ERROR MESSAGE or take a screenshot.

with best regards

This is the same error message I got when it isn't working.

A lot of things to try too, How to troubleshoot the "System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found" message ? | IDEAL Administration : Centralized Management for Windows Active Directory Domains and Workgroups | Pointdev

I've basically done all the suggestions, but since the 'remote host' is the router usually, I have no real control there.

This what I see now using Explorer:

Capture.JPG

I have no control how the Router (TP-SHARE) or the HP printer is discovered. Both PC's are using WSD in Windows as well as NetBios SMB 1 is enabled.

OK, but it is the ERROR 53, which is the "The network path was not found",
Maybe there is something wrong with the path name.
Try using quotes when the names in the path have spaces:
Code:
net view F:"\\server\share name"

OR just modify the names so that there are no spaces in the names.

Never had a problem before, and it is 'back' now...

CMD prompt copy:

============================
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

C:\>ping tp-share

Pinging tp-share [192.168.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

C:\>net view \\tp-share

C:\>net view \\192.168.0.1

C:\>net view \\192.168.0.166
Shared resources at \\192.168.0.166

Irv's 8700

Share name Type Used as Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------
C_8700 Disk
K_disk Disk
L_disk Disk
Users Disk

===================

All the shares have no blanks or special characters. Besides, why would it work and then someone not work later?

Really odd, my PC knows where tp-share is but I can't 'net view' to it, but I can PING it with the share name of the router?

Of course, once I reboot the router it will work again.

No, nothing changed on the router (TP-LINK Archer A20), same f/w and no changes anywhere made for a long time.

I can even net view to the other PC using the share name:

================
C:\>net view \\la-xps8500
Shared resources at \\la-xps8500

La XPS8500

Share name Type Used as Comment

-----------------------------------------
C_disk Disk
D_Drive Disk
E_Drive Disk
F_Drive Disk
Users Disk
=============

Makes no sense to me? It can resolve NetBios names, but it seems only NET VIEW has a problem? Suspect somehow the Router to PC NetBios connection has been lost? However I can access the Router's GUI fine?

Just checked the other PC, same problem, Error 53?

Is either machine running security/antivirus software besides Microsoft Defender?

Is either machine running security/antivirus software besides Microsoft Defender?

Yes, both PC's are running Norton 360, and have been for almost 2 years. Before that, Norton Security Suite. Unless Norton changed something recently to cause this to happen sometime during the day, it was a recent change?

UPDATE...

I may be fixed!

Since I was unsure 'where' the problem lies, I tried some stuff and reviewed all the pertinent settings on both PC's.

Since I only enabled the SMB 1 client on both PC's, I decided to enable the Server too (the Server is what the virus' attack) as maybe MS changed its operation of the Client and put that into the Server? When looking at wife's PC, she has the Pro version (2H20 of W10, I have Home) I noticed a NEW enabled feature? SMB Direct. I did find this () which is old, but it does have a similar problem as mine.

I don't think I turned on SMB Direct, or if it was there on her PC, it didn't register with me? It is a Windows Server that uses this anyway. So I turned it off.

Maybe it didn't remove it from operating though as I checked NET VIEW and it failed on both machines.

Rebooted the router and of course, like before, NET VIEW worked fine.

That was yesterday.

Today, I've been checking, and after 4+ hours, it continues to work, and NET VIEW not only works, but all connections show...

So, maybe it was Windows and either a change in SMB operation or the 2H20 automatically enabled SMB Direct. Not even sure they that is part of the Pro version if it isn't in the Home versions?

MS Document (old, from 2018) doesn't mention W10, only Windows Server, Improve performance of a file server with SMB Direct, odd.

Time will tell if it keeps working all day, but so far, no fails?

Yes, seems like it.

Yesterday removed SMB Direct from the Pro PC, and NET VIEW was working all day. Today, removed the SMB 1 Server feature, and it still works fine.

Oddly enough, NBTSTAT -a using my NETBIOS name returns no data, but I'm the Master Browser? Wife's PC name shows her data?

Not sure why?

===============
C:\>ipconfig

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2603:9001:4802:b1ce::1000
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d0b:630b:7630:1b7f%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.166
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::52d4:f7ff:fe68:3cc4%11
===================

My IP Address is 192.168.0.166

===============

C:\>nbtstat -A 192.168.0.166

Wi-Fi 2:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.166] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

=================

I'm on Wi-Fi 2 (others deleted above).

Wife's PC is on 192.168.0.124

==================
C:\>nbtstat -A 192.168.0.124

Wi-Fi 2:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status
LAxxxxx-XPS8500<20> UNIQUE Registered
LAxxxxx-XPS8500<00> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered

MAC Address = 24-05-0F-F6-D3-44
================

Why is it showing my IP Address? Makes no sense to me?

No if I do the Router @ 192.168.0.1

==================

C:\>nbtstat -A 192.168.0.1

Wi-Fi 2:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status
TP-SHARE <00> UNIQUE Registered
TP-SHARE <03> UNIQUE Registered
TP-SHARE <20> UNIQUE Registered
☺☻__MSBROWSE__☻<01> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1B> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00
===========

It shows mine and different from above, but it does show my PC and the Master Browser?

Crazy!

Well, after more investigating, YES, it is FIXED... SMB Direct Windows 10 Pro Feature was the culprit.

Now, it also seems NBTSTAT has a KNOWN problem for awhile. Mix of WSD/NetBios for device Discovery Methods are a KNOWN MS problem for some time in W10. Both PC's, the Home and Pro PC's, have identical problems and use WSD for Discovery, Router and Printer use NetBios. Mix causes the problems. Problem reports go back to later 2016 even. Doesn't seem like MS is interested in fixing this?

Here is a fairly recent link for the same problem, Netbios and resolving local DNS names - Windows 10 Help Forums, interesting that I have a TP-Link router too?

Three thing I have done to resolve this:

1- It resets the modem connection: Relying to your real connection i.e. DSL, etc. Those connections will every now and then stumble upon line noise or static at the same time as in use. While that happens, the relationship will negotiate for a slower velocity until a appropriate sign-to-noise ratio (snr) is finished. Often, the rate receives slower and slower every time interference and noise is encountered till the bandwidth simply will become too slow to be usable. Rebooting the modem will cause it to renegotiate the connection between your router and the telco for the quickest dependable velocity. You may verify that this is occurring in case you see lots of CRC mistakes in your wan connection.

2- Purges the router resources: Occasionally, the router truly runs out of ram. Things like torrent visitors would without difficulty fill up the router memory’s country tables with open entries until it runs out of area.

3- Reboots the OS: It could also be due to a buggy firmware that aggravates and cause problem #2 or normally reasons the router to turn out to be volatile whilst it encounters medium to heavy utilization.

For more details:
windows club

Three thing I have done to resolve this:

1- It resets the modem connection: Relying to your real connection i.e. DSL, etc. Those connections will every now and then stumble upon line noise or static at the same time as in use. While that happens, the relationship will negotiate for a slower velocity until a appropriate sign-to-noise ratio (snr) is finished. Often, the rate receives slower and slower every time interference and noise is encountered till the bandwidth simply will become too slow to be usable. Rebooting the modem will cause it to renegotiate the connection between your router and the telco for the quickest dependable velocity. You may verify that this is occurring in case you see lots of CRC mistakes in your wan connection.

2- Purges the router resources: Occasionally, the router truly runs out of ram. Things like torrent visitors would without difficulty fill up the router memory’s country tables with open entries until it runs out of area.

3- Reboots the OS: It could also be due to a buggy firmware that aggravates and cause problem #2 or normally reasons the router to turn out to be volatile whilst it encounters medium to heavy utilization.

For more details:
windows club
Well, it is back unfortunately.

As far as I can tell, at least now without any way I can think of further debugging this, is that the Router is the common component that when rebooted the problem goes away immediately and possibly over a few days?

This morning my wife's PC W10 Pro was booted first, mine later, and we both get the fail:

===================
C:\>
============

Rebooting router now....

==================
Server Name Remark

------------------------------------
\\IRV8700 Irv's 8700
\\TP-SHARE samba server
====================

It does take time for all devices (wife's PC and Printer) to appear.

They did by the time I put the above in:

============
Server Name Remark

-----------------------------------------
\\HP7855 Samba 3.0.37
\\IRV8700 Irv's 8700
\\LA-XPS8500 LaXPS8500
\\TP-SHARE samba server
==============

This IS NOT a new router, 16 months only, no new f/w either? Nothing really changed in how we use the Internet. Suspect some MS bug, possibly NetBios or IPv6 related?

#1 should be off the table as all I did was reboot the router.

#3, it isn't either as both PC's were rebooted, and mine first which usually happens (not today though).

Back