Windows 7 New System, Unexplained Lockups (no visible error)

MXRaceR141

I'm running:
Windows 7 RC 7100 [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]64 [COLOR=blue !important]Bit[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
EVGA x58 SLI Motherboard
Intel i7 920 @ 2.6Ghz (Stock)
6GB OCZ DD3 1600 @ stock timings
BFGTech NVidia GTX275 @ Stock Clock
SATA 750GB HD, forgot brand
SB XFI Fatality Sound Card
Antec True Power 2.0 PSU @ 530 Watts, 36 Amp Max 12v1 + 12v2.

Now, with my newly upgraded mobo/cpu/ram/gpu combination, I backed everything up and reformatted to upgrade from xp to W7. Everything seemed good, but as of recently, I've been getting complete lockups.

The system isn't hogged down, i.e., installing a game + itunes + [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]internet [COLOR=blue !important]explorer[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] open. Two of the five or so times it locked up was when i was opening Ventrilo. It completely froze, unresponsive to the point that control + alt + delete was unresponsive. Waiting it out did nothing, only fix was to shut it off cold.

Other times it occured while all that was going, and while I was browsing the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]internet[/COLOR][/COLOR]. Also while i was initiating a patch. Seemingly random times.

One possible cause, and really the only one i see that could be an issue, is that the motherboard has an 8 pin EPS connector, and my Antec PSU only has a 4 pin ATX connector. Now I read up on different forums, and many people said you'd be ok with only the 4 pin unless you're a heavy overclocker. But you need to keep an eye/finger on the connector to feel it for heat.

Could this be why? Resistance in the plug through 4 pins causes a voltage drop; and possibly the motherboard shuts down/locks up via brown-out precaution?

Or does this sound like a software malfunction of some sort? Maybe caused by Itunes/Ventrilo?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Chris.

*New Development*
I was thinking it was possibly a Ventrilo issue, come to find out it just did it to me again with only I.E. 8, iTunes, and A Game Installer running, and it occured right when the installer initiated.

Also, it almost did it again just now, iTunes locked up; cpu usage and memory usage was stable, but itunes stopped playing all together. Swapped from 5.1 speaker mode to 4.1 and back, and it reinitialized it and began playing again. Maybe this is a sound card error?

Back