Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

no access to PC - Virtual keyboard but no mouse

Useless

MY son has died and I have two PCs I have stopped working in my attempts to solve issues PC1 has a virtual keyboard but no working mouse so sits there can anyone help me get my USb keyboard working and then solve the no mouse issue I have tried many possible solutions but still no mouse PC2 has keyboard and mouse but the numbers do not work despite number lock being on and typing in google search is from R to L instead of L to R No idea what I have done but I was trying to research Pc1 problems and have visited numerous places in settings control panel etc. I am desperate as I have work to do!

I'm really sorry to hear about your son. I understand how stressful dealing with computer issues can be, especially when you have important tasks to complete. I'll do my best to help you resolve the problems with your two PCs.

### PC1: Virtual Keyboard but No Working Mouse

First, let's address the USB keyboard issue, as resolving this might also help with the mouse problem. Here are some troubleshooting steps:

1. Check USB Ports and Devices
- Plug your USB keyboard into different USB ports on the PC.
- Test the USB keyboard on another computer to ensure it is working.

2. Accessing Device Manager with Virtual Keyboard
- Use the virtual keyboard to open the Start menu.
- Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open the Device Manager.
- Check for any warning icons next to the Keyboards and Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- Right-click on your keyboard device (usually under Keyboards) and select "Uninstall device." Then, unplug and plug back in your keyboard to reinstall the driver.

3. Check for Software Conflicts
- Boot the PC into Safe Mode:
- Restart your computer and press F8 (or Shift + F8) before Windows starts. Select "Safe Mode with Networking."
- If the keyboard works in Safe Mode, there might be a conflicting software driver or application.

4. Windows Troubleshooter
- Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Navigate to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Run the troubleshooter for Keyboard and Hardware and Devices.

### PC2: Numeric Keypad Not Working and Right-to-Left Typing

For the issues you're experiencing with PC2, let's try these steps:

1. Numeric Keypad Issue
- Ensure that Num Lock is enabled. You can try toggling it off/on.
- Open On-Screen Keyboard (you can search for it in the Start menu) to see if the Num Lock is functioning. The visual indicator should change when toggled.
- Check if the keyboard layout/input language settings are correct:
- Go to Control Panel > Region and Language.
- Ensure the correct input languages are set.

2. Right-to-Left Typing Issue
- This behavior is often caused by language settings.
- Open Control Panel > Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Change Keyboards.
- Ensure that your primary input language is set to a Left-to-Right language like English (United States).
- Additionally, you can change the direction of text by pressing Ctrl + Shift (Left for Left-to-Right, Right for Right-to-Left).

Hopefully, these steps help you resolve the issues you're facing. If you run into any problems following these steps or if the issues persist, please let me know, and we can try some additional troubleshooting methods. Good luck, and feel free to update me on your progress!

PC1 reply 1 Keyboard only works on PC2 and in Bios
PC1 reply 1 I deliberately changed to an on screen keyboard as I thought I could use number keys as mouse! So unable to use it at all. I exit it using ctrl+alt+del
PC1 reply 2 Unable to use on screen keyboard as no mouse so I close it!
PC1 reply 3 Keyboard works in Bios only.
PC1 reply 4 Unable to use keyboard to open settings

PC2 reply 1 Numbers now working; Thank you.
PC2 reply 2 L to R now working. Thank you.

Some newer keyboards/trackpads on laptops use special drivers to function, often called Serial IO drivers. If you visit the manufacturers website for the laptop and download all the drivers to a flash drive you can install them with just a mouse if needed (most installers are just Next, Next, Finish, etc).

This may restore your keyboard to working in Windows.

I know it sounds silly like hey if it works in the BIOS it should work in Windows too but in some cases (especially with newer laptops) it needs that special driver to function correctly.

Thank you everyone who read or responded to my query. Thanks to all the suggestions received and acted upon my PC is functioning correctly. With all your help I no longer feel useless but I have learned a lesson. It is not worth trying things on your own ask for support from the forum, even if you do feel useless and inadequate you will not spend days struggling to correct your mistakes.

Back