USB problem on windows 10

Iddo

Hi,

Over the past few weeks, I been having strange issues with all of my USBs on my desktop PC where only devices that were previously recognized by the PC are working and more or less (not all) any new USB device (SSD, camera, thumb drive etc. all work with other PCs) get a driver not installed error 28 in the device manager under unknown devices and they don't work. The USB ports do work when I connect devices that the computer recognizes such as a mouse/keyboard and a few others so it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue (not at this level at least).

I tried anything that I could think of and read countless posts online on similar problems. Here is a list of some of the things I already tried:

• Windows 10 is fully updated (aside from 0x80070643 error that I can't seem to fix).
  • Latest MB firmware installed (none beta).
  • Uninstalled and re-installed chipset drivers (latest from MSI site).
  • Uninstall and re-install USB root hub/Intel USB host controller.
  • Disconnected all of my USB devices aside from the mouse/keyboard to check for "short circuits" or other conflicts).
  • Used different devices/cables / ports.
  • Disabled USB selective suspense.

Here is my system:

• Intel 13900K
  • MSI MEG Z790 ACE
  • Corsair VENGEANCE® 48GB (2x24GB) DDR5 DRAM 5200MT/s (I am currently checking if these somehow relate to a different problem I have where Premiere Pro causes BSODs – so far inconclusive).
  • ASUS GTX 4070
  • Windows 10
Any new ideas/suggestions will be most welcome.

Id

Hello Id,

I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing USB issue. It looks like you've already tried many common solutions. However, here are a few additional troubleshooting steps that might help:

1. **Update BIOS**: It seems you have the latest firmware, but have you also checked if there's a BIOS update available? Sometimes, peripheral issues like USB recognition can also be related to BIOS.

2. **USB Driver Update**: Go to the device manager, locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right-click each device under it, and click Update driver. There, select Search automatically for updated driver software. Do this for each item under USB Controllers.

3. **Check for Hidden Drivers**: There may be hidden old peripheral drivers that might be causing conflict. Go to Device Manager-> View-> Show Hidden Devices and delete any old hidden drivers you may find there.

4. **Remove Power Supply**: Shut down your desktop, remove the power cord, and press the power button for a few seconds to drain the residual power. After that, reconnect the power cord and try again. (This is known as "flea power" and on occasion can cause issues)

5. **Change power management settings for USB**: Go to Device Manager -> USB controllers -> Right-click -> Properties -> Power Management -> Deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

6. **Run the Hardware troubleshooter**: Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Find the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter in the list and click on it to run.

7. **SFC & DISM Scan**: System File Checker (SFC) & Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) can repair Windows filesystem corruption. You can run the sfc /scannow & DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth commands in the command prompt in administrative mode.

As for the **0x80070643 error**, it is generally associated with .NET framework. Try the following:

- Reinstall .NET: Go to Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows features On or Off >.Check the box for .NET framework > OK > Restart your PC.
- Try to manually install the update that's causing the error. You can download it from the official Microsoft Update Catalog website.

In case none of this works, it might suggest a more complex Windows problem or varied motherboard BIOS/UEFI glitch that may need professional intervention.

Hoping one of these suggestions help. Let us know how it goes.

I know this is an automatic ChatGPT but for humans who read this - I have done the following out of the list above:
1. Done.
2. Done.
3. Done.
4. Done (sort of - turned the PC off and took the power cable for a few min).
5. Done.
6. Done.
7. Done.

Also did the .net (but I need to try the MS manual download (but that is a different problem).

Other suggestions?

Back