Windows 10 Problem with external hard drive not working with USB 3.0 on Windows 10

James1981

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me, i have a Lenovo Ideapad 510 laptop with windows 10 64bit. The laptop is only about 3 months old.

It has 2 x USB 3.0 slots and 1 x USB 2.0.

I have recently bought a USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure and i can only connect it to the USB 2.0 port.

If i connect it to either of the USB 3.0 ports the drive appears in my computer but doesnt show the space etc, also my laptop will sometimes either eventually say device not recognised or my laptop will just freeze and i cannoy move my mouse etc, even unplugging the drive doesnt unfreeze it and i have to force restart the laptop.

The device manager doesn't show any problems and all drivers appear to be installed fine.

I tried removing the usb host controller from the list but it wouldn't actually uninstall, it just kept showing as a progress bar showing it was trying to remove it but i left it for around 10 mins and it was still doing it so again i just force restarted the laptop..

I cannot seem to find what the issue might be, can anyone please help?

Regards

James

the rapid recharge feature would be my guess as thats the main difference between the ports... what hard drive enclosure?
have you tested that the hard drive enclosure works ok in someone elses laptop i.e, its not just a faulty usb cable?

Try another USB cable and see if you are getting the same issue.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

USB hard drive enclosures vary widely in quality.:scratch: How much did you pay for it, and send us a link to where you got it unless you bought it in a physical store somewhere. As Norway suggests, try it on a friend or co-workers laptop that is a newer model and also has usb 3.0 ports. If the enclosure causes problems and does not have faster transfer rates on that 2nd laptop as well, chances are it's defective and should be returned to the place you purchased it from and a refund demanded.:waah: Stick with good vendors if you bought online such as Amazon.com or newegg.com. You may find you pay a bit more, but you get what you pay for!:)

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom