Windows 7 No Sound now

AHurd

so as some of you read i had to format my computer, and im all done doing that, my motherboard cd does not show any drivers to download anymore so im assuming that all of those drivers are too old to be recognized. anyone know of a site that shows drivers for windows 7? my old driver that was used was sigmatel audio codec or something like that, it has a driver installed now and it says its working fine but the fact that no sound comes out means its not working fine lol

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

...my motherboard cd does not show any drivers to download anymore so im assuming that all of those drivers are too old to be recognized.
Are you saying that when you ran the motherboard's installation CD, it went online to check for driver updates and didn't find any? Have you gone right to the manufacturer's website and looked for drive updates there?

TS

aHurd.

Hello and welcome,
Sorry for all the questions, but........
In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

The exact make and model of your motherboard would be of great help also.
Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version?
Was it a "clean" install or an upgrade?
Are you dual-booting?
Are you using the official RC directly from Microsoft?
The make and manufacturer of your motherboard and sound card would be of great help.

Did you happen to visit the manufacturer of your mother and look for drivers here?

If your computer came with Vista, they should work.

However, Windows Update should have offered updates immediately after install and registration.

Last edited:
im running the official RC, i did a clean install, its the 32bit version

3.00GHz with 3 gigs of ram and i forgot what my mobo was but i used the intel website tool to have it determine that this is my mobo

Link Removed - Invalid URL

and my soundcard is the onboard one on that, i had the sound working through my front AUX port last night but this morning when i turned the computer on it said it doesnt work anymore, so i dunno whats up with that

If this just occurred and you haven't installed any new software or made an y major changes to your machine, I would do a system restore to point where it was working.

The exact error message would be of great help.

On the page you referenced there is a link to Automatically find audio drivers.

Did you try that link?

Do you have a stereo or multi-channel audio speaker setup?

yeah i tried restoring it to that point, didnt do anything.

most of the time when i try the automatic updates or the drivers that are found on that link it says that 'The device was not installed successfully'

and whenever something is installed successfully it doesnt work

and to be honest i dont know what the difference between multi channel and stereo is, i just have an AUX in the front and the back of my computer, i have the speakers plugged inthe back and my headphones plugged in the front, when i had it working last night for that little bit only the front port was working

Could you please answer some of the questions in my #3 post?

Stereo audio is 2 channels, multi channel audio is 5.1 or higher (5 speakers plus a subwoofer)

If you only have 2 desktop speakers, this is stereo audio.

When updating drivers, go to Control Panel > Device Manager and uninstall the driver you are trying to update.

Yellow flag next to 'High Definition Audio Device'

i have 2 speakers and a sub woofer in mine, its an altec lansing, only plugs in with 1 AUX cable though, so i guess its just stereo

The exact make and model of your motherboard would be of great help also.
Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version? 32 bit
Was it a "clean" install or an upgrade? clean
Are you dual-booting? no
Are you using the official RC directly from Microsoft? yes
The make and manufacturer of your motherboard and sound card would be of great help. sound card is on board and its the intel mobo that i linked

Did you happen to visit the manufacturer of your mother and look for drivers here? yeah i downloaded the latest drivers for the sound card and it starts to install and then it says my hardware doesnt support it....so i have no freakin clue

If your computer came with Vista, they should work. my computer came with XP

its a fairly old computer, but ive upgraded the motherboard, graphics card and the RAM since i got it so its easily able to handle vista and windows 7

Last edited:
What kind of motherboard do you have? Its probably a Realtek card if its integrated on the board. Find out your motherboard manufacturer. You can probably download the drivers directly from Realtek but this is just a hunch. Realtek Semiconductor Corp. last good known driver was 6/2009. Look into this closely as other motherboard vendors may supply a driver for the same device.

aHurd,

Did you try the link for Automatically locate audio drivers on this page:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2064&OSFullName=Windows+Vista+32*&lang=eng&strOSs=164&submit=Go%21

I would suggest downloading this utility for more information on your audio card:
http://majorgeeks.com/SIW_System_Info_d4387.html

The XP audio drivers from your CD will not work on Windows 7.

Weren't you given the opportunity to download updates for Windows 7 drivers after the initial install and registration?

You need to go to Control panel > Device Manager and right-click on the yellow flagged item and select Uninstall.

Now, immediately install the latest drivers you downloaded previously.

Last edited:
yeah i tried all that, none of it worked, that sound card was a piece of crap anyway, a lot of stuff was fuzzy so i just went out and bought a $40 sound card and it works perfectly now, i figured its better to spend $40 on a new one that would sound better anyway than wasting anymore time trying to figure this crap out

Back