Windows 8 no sound

davidhk129

Win 8.1 Pro Preview 32-bit installed in a Dell laptop which used to run Vista 32-bit.
It was a clean install.
Every works real good EXCEPT no sound.

I went and install Realtek HD Audio Codecs Driver 2.71.
It shows in Programs and Features as being installed.
Cannot find it under Device Manager nor in Control Panel.

In short : still no sound.
Help.

P.S. I also install Win 8.1 into VMware Player using a newer laptop running Win 7 Home Premium.
This install has sound but light years slower than the one installed in the old Dell laptop.

Last edited:
Have you tried running the driver under compatibility mode?

Which model are you using?

I have an Inspiron 1545 that originally came with Vista and I installed 8.1 x64 version on an SSD. Sound seems to be working fine and no Realtek devices in sight, just the basic Windows 8.1 drivers.

I suppose you do show the Speakers as the default playback device, but testing them in the configuration option does not produce any sound?

In Device Manager, Audio Inputs and Outputs shows a Microphone and Speaker and Sound, video and game controllers shows a High Definition Audio Device.

Is it all sound or just certain types?

.........I suppose you do show the Speakers as the default playback device, but testing them in the configuration option does not produce any sound?.........

Exactly what you said.

In Device Manager, Audio Inputs and Outputs shows a Microphone and Speaker and Sound, video and game controllers shows a High Definition Audio Device.............

Yes.

......Is it all sound or just certain types?..........

All sound. Win 8 is a mute.

Have you tried running the driver under compatibility mode?

Which model are you using?

How do I run the driver if I cannot find it anywhere except in Programs and Features ?

Model of what ?
Computer hardware ? Dell Inspiron 1420.

Thank you.

@ kemical,

I went to my Downloads folder > right clicked at Realtek HD Audio Driver > select Compatibility Troubleshootings option > tried the Vista SP2 compatibility > still no sound.

Updating my sound issue.....
I found out that there is sound if I used the headset, but no sound without it.

So, how do I correct that ?

Image%201%203.png

Ok. Not entirely the fault of MS. Sigmatel was acquired by IDT, which I think you may now see in the sound panel. The Dell version SigmaTel drivers n are legit, but some retail versions from Microsoft and other sites, have got a bit mixed up with detection..

Ok. Not entirely the fault of MS. Sigmatel was acquired by IDT, which I think you may now see in the sound panel. The Dell version SigmaTel drivers n are legit, but some retail versions from Microsoft and other sites, have got a bit mixed up with detection..

Yes, Sigmatel HD is shown in Sound panel now as Default Device.

Back