Windows 7 Noisy Fan on start up

estibump

My computer has started to make a lot of noise on start up and I think that it is the fan. I have been looking at fans, but I really do not know where to begin!

My cpu is AMD FX-4170 Quad Core Processor, I think that info is needed, but I do not know which sort of fan or cooling system to get. Is there a way of finding out what it is in there at the moment? There seems to be some small copper pipes on it - does that mean that it has some sort of cooler on it?

Any help would be gratefully received, as I do not want to get up one morning and find that nothing works!

What fan is making the noise? Is the a retail PC or a custom build? There are several kinds of fans for a PC. You have case fans, CPU cooler that has a fan, your GPU has a fan and all sort of extra accessory fans.

As to your question on the copper pipes, those are heat transfer pipes. They take the heat from the CPU, up the pipes to the heat sink (the unit with all those fins) and the fan then blows clean are across the fins. The more heat pipes the better cooling.

Yeah...those stock coolers are low quality and sometimes fail. As an inexpensive hardware upgrade an after market CPU cooler is a good investment, provided this is a desktop. First check to see if the fan is loose. Sometimes in shipment or unboxing the fan can get jostled around and knocked loose.

Here's a well know brand and has excellent reputation and works very well.....the only thing to keep in mind is the dimensions, LxWxH....to make sure it will fit in those retail PC stock cases.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...those stock coolers are low quality and sometimes fail. As an inexpensive hardware upgrade an after market CPU cooler is a good investment, provided this is a desktop. First check to see if the fan is loose. Sometimes in shipment or unboxing the fan can get jostled around and knocked loose.

Here's a well know brand and has excellent reputation and works very well.....the only thing to keep in mind is the dimensions, LxWxH....to make sure it will fit in those retail PC stock cases.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+

The link to the Cooler Master is the same one I put on my i5 2500k processor. It is great. I recommend it. For having a 120 mm fan it is quiet. At least mine is.

I do not seem to be able to order from there, as there only seems to be USA states in the address part of the address.

What country are you in? You might try googling for a PC hardware store in your country.

I do not seem to be able to order from there, as there only seems to be USA states in the address part of the address.

I find one of the best online e-tailors are Scan UK. Great service and great prices, you can find them here:

Computer Hardware - Scan.co.uk

If your unsure as to what would be the best purchase then please post back and we'll try to help you out with some suggestions..

Back